PDA

View Full Version : Sunday beach cruisin, lookin

crcattypc
04-09-2012, 12:05 PM
We went out yesterday with my wife and her mom to do a cruise on the beach and to have easter lunch on the boat. While I was loading, I asked the wife, should I bring any rods? ... duh, of course if I didnt I would see like 100 cobia ready to jump in the boat. So I grabbed one pomp rod and one cobe rod and we went off... The gulf side of shell island was absolutely beautiful! And unlike Saturday, I actually saw some life up next to the beach. WE had several schools of pompano swim by, but boy they are fast. Until last week, I had been a pompano virgin... In the last two weeks, I am up to three and those little buggers are fun, and tasty. So only hooked one today, but he hit a bare jig. Nice fun fight and all were having fun. We also saw several smallish cobes (20-30 lb) swimming, but they would not even look at the jig I was throwing at them. Needed something alive to get some interest. All in all a very fun day on the water with the family.http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x200/cumberlandlaw/pic1.jpg

crcattypc
04-09-2012, 12:07 PM
It was a little pompano... but it was legal size and the wife loves to eat pompano, so it came home... I felt kind of bad a bout it

crcattypc
04-09-2012, 12:08 PM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x200/cumberlandlaw/pic2.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x200/cumberlandlaw/pic3.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x200/cumberlandlaw/pic5.jpg

crcattypc
04-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Next time I will not leave the dock without something alive to throw at a cobia... crab, eel, pinfish, croaker... something, anything and we would have had 2 smaller but also legal size cobes...

Panhandler80
04-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Yeah sometimes it's difficult to get those little sharks to take a jig. ;-)

crcattypc
04-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Hahaha... you soooo funny

KayakMacGyver
04-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Man that looks like a beautiful day on the water. That emerald green/clear water looks incredible. Congrats :full

I've been tempted to play hookie all week.....Every day I drive out to the beach just to see what I'm missing, and if it weren't for a sail fishing trip I'm taking off for next week...I would have definitely been sick all week:wink

crcattypc
04-15-2012, 02:10 PM
It was a beautiful day... Where are you going sailfishing? Central America, south fl or the keys? They are fun, and fight great, but after a few we always wanted to try and find something to eat. They are so thick out of Palm Beach and jupiter that it is a year round thing to get a few sails now. Everyone talks about it being a winter bite down in sfl, but I have caught more sails in the summer than at any other time. Guess it is because we could catch the bait and not have to spend $80 a dozen on gogs as was the case during winter down there. Anyhow, good luck on your trip Mac, be sure to give us a report afterward!

KayakMacGyver
04-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Going down to Jupiter. I've had it on my list of to-dos and we were finally able to make it happen this year. We were originally scheduled to go in February, but lousy bait #'s and an unusual current changed our plans. I was to believe, by friends who had gone, that winter is the best time to go. But, just like you mentioned, our captain told us that's not really the case. We were told that the bigger fish move through in the winter, but that spring/summer will produce heavy #'s, and we shouldn't have any problems catching bait. The spawn should be happening at any time and the dolphin are starting to show up in good #'s too. Im also seeing a lot of good Cobia reports on spearfishing sites.

We're taking a full day on Friday and a half day on Saturday. I'll be doing some night time snook fishing on my own as well. I'll definitely post up a report on the trip and may try to get a 'live from the water' thread going if service allows. Now that I have tapatalk, it should be pretty easy.

crcattypc
04-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Which captain are you taking? Hope its Charlie! Anyhow, my buddy down there said the hoo's are already setting up out of Jupiter and the larger blackfins are starting to show. I think the cobia stuff is almost at a close as that is really a early spring run but with the mild winter this year, came at the end of the winter proper. Jupiter is a great place to fish, and I have caught more hoo's there than anywhere else. Everything should be alive this time of the year, fins, hoos, BFT's and sails... that wouldn't be a bad day? :) Good luck! Also, the snookin is rock solid! That is the fish I really miss about being in the panhandle...so tasty and easy to access the fishery.

KayakMacGyver
04-17-2012, 12:28 PM
The name of our captain is Joe Dobbins. I know him through a mutual friend and he's a really cool laid back guy. Most of all, he's honest and open about what we can expect. Like I mentioned, we rescheduled our last trip per his advice.

I think your right about the Cobia run, but they are still catching them, so we could get lucky. As far wahoo goes, we're all hoping for some fresh sashimi! IMO, it doesn't get much better eating. Maybe tuna, hogfish, or Cobia ...but they all rank right up there for me.

Well be happy just to wet a line and not have to worry about doing any cleanup afterward. I haven't been on a charter in probably 10 years, since then I've captained/deckhanded a charter boat and run my own personal boat, so I can promise you the convenience factor is going to add a lot of value on this trip!

I used to make a yearly trip down to SF when I was a kid and would fish the dock lights around marinas. I had such a great time. I can tell you, that I some of the funnest fishing you can do. Nothing like seeing those big logs hanging in the shadows and watching them inhale a bait. Though, with the slot so small these days, it's almost like winning a raffle to catch a keeper.

I'm going to pickup a few supplies before I go...any recommendations for snook?

crcattypc
04-17-2012, 06:09 PM
DOA terror eyez for the bridge shadows... but live shrimp or cast netting bait around the bridges is usually the best for the dock lights... all of the inlet anglers go before sun up on outgoing tide and throw the yellow bucktail red tailed hawk? I also used to catch a bunch of fish (even my biggest ever snook) on the rapalla twitchin rap in the yellow/bone color... it is a suspending bait and is deadly for all inshore species, but is no good if tons of current.

*** also**** I just while typing this got a text from a cpt buddy of mine out of Boynton who just got a 45 lb bull fin!!! Looks like a beauty. Should be awesome down there this time of year!

Split Shot
04-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Friend of mine just caught this out of Jupiter last weekend.