PDA

View Full Version : Carrebelle River fishing

mshutley
03-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Anyone have any experience fishing on the Carrebelle river? I will be down end of May, first of June and would like to see what all can be caught there during that time. I have never fished there before and unfortantely will be on foot. We have a house rented right on the river though.

Any advise would be awesome!

KayakMacGyver
03-21-2012, 09:51 PM
You probably won't solicit as much response over in this section as you would in the the NW section, but I used to live in Tallahassee and worked on a charter boat docked in the Carrabelle River and have done quite a bit of fishing in there. The water is going to be so warm that time of year, you'll have a lot to choose from. Reds in the back county, and around the bridges. Trout early in the a.m. and late in the p.m. Tarpon will have migrated into the river by then as well, but can be a little finicky, and here's why.

One of the most exciting that migrates into the Carrabelle River, which a lot of people don't know about, is the Bullshark. Starting in June , the Bull Shark's start to move up the river to breed. I've caught SEVERAL big ones, right out of my Kayak, in front of the Moorings marina. I was always fishing for Tarpon, and it seemed no matter what bait I had in the water, the Bull Sharks would tear it up. Right in front of the main office, in the middle of the river, there is a dock (which was actually supposed to have been completed by now) with no access other than by boat. Go to the northern most tip of that dock and you'll see a big mooring ball, set up there and drift baits back to the channel markers and I can pretty much guarantee you'll hook into a nice shark. I know you said you were on foot, but they have a kayak rental shop in town, and if I remember correctly, they were pretty reasonable. I'd recommend going that direction.

Best of luck to you....

Here's some pics in action...sorry they are blurry, but the shark had me hauling but (literally around 5-7 knots)

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/323_696939525493_5224032_46794216_3985_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/323_696939580383_5224032_46794227_7236_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/323_696939565413_5224032_46794224_6124_n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/323_696939605333_5224032_46794231_8371_n.jpg

have kayak will travel
03-22-2012, 02:14 AM
If the house you're renting has a dock with lights you may want to fish that at night. Tarpon, Reds, Sharks and Trout might stop by to feed on the baitfish attracted to the light source. There are also plenty of nearby grass flats on the Gulf side you can wade fish. Redfish and Trout would be your main quarry. I fish that stretch of Highway 98 quite a bit. Sometimes I launch the kayak but there are plenty of places that you can pull over and walk out to productive water. Give me a holler I wouldn't mind showing you a couple spots.

mshutley
03-22-2012, 01:13 PM
If the house you're renting has a dock with lights you may want to fish that at night. Tarpon, Reds, Sharks and Trout might stop by to feed on the baitfish attracted to the light source. There are also plenty of nearby grass flats on the Gulf side you can wade fish. Redfish and Trout would be your main quarry. I fish that stretch of Highway 98 quite a bit. Sometimes I launch the kayak but there are plenty of places that you can pull over and walk out to productive water. Give me a holler I wouldn't mind showing you a couple spots.
Thanks! Now, are you talking about a floating light?
And yeah, that was my thought about stopping at some places and fishing where I can by foot or wading. I've really never waded before so that would be new for me.

mshutley
03-22-2012, 01:15 PM
You probably won't solicit as much response over in this section as you would in the the NW section, but I used to live in Tallahassee and worked on a charter boat docked in the Carrabelle River and have done quite a bit of fishing in there. The water is going to be so warm that time of year, you'll have a lot to choose from. Reds in the back county, and around the bridges. Trout early in the a.m. and late in the p.m. Tarpon will have migrated into the river by then as well, but can be a little finicky, and here's why.

One of the most exciting that migrates into the Carrabelle River, which a lot of people don't know about, is the Bullshark. Starting in June , the Bull Shark's start to move up the river to breed. I've caught SEVERAL big ones, right out of my Kayak, in front of the Moorings marina. I was always fishing for Tarpon, and it seemed no matter what bait I had in the water, the Bull Sharks would tear it up. Right in front of the main office, in the middle of the river, there is a dock (which was actually supposed to have been completed by now) with no access other than by boat. Go to the northern most tip of that dock and you'll see a big mooring ball, set up there and drift baits back to the channel markers and I can pretty much guarantee you'll hook into a nice shark. I know you said you were on foot, but they have a kayak rental shop in town, and if I remember correctly, they were pretty reasonable. I'd recommend going that direction.

Best of luck to you....

Thanks for the info. I"m not built for kayaks! lol But hopefully I will still have a good chance to get into some good fish. Can you fish the bridge from shore?

have kayak will travel
03-24-2012, 12:48 AM
Thanks! Now, are you talking about a floating light?
And yeah, that was my thought about stopping at some places and fishing where I can by foot or wading. I've really never waded before so that would be new for me.
Flood light(s) attached to the dock pointed at the water. If the house your renting doesn't have any you could get creative and bring your own. I've never fished the marina or public docks in Carrabelle but they may have lights that shine on the water. Ask some of the locals for ideas on where to fish without getting your feet wet. I'm sure they'll direct you to some docks ect. that you can fish during the day. If you do go wade fishing wear a pair of cheap running shoes and make sure you have plenty of sunscreen on. A pair of polarized sunglasses is also a plus.

Slough
03-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Post on the NW section. Several places to wade the flats between Carabelle and Panacea. Heard alot of good reports from Bald point off of alligator point.