PDA

View Full Version : PCB April 14-22

ericjeeper
03-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Wife and I will be towing the 22 footer down for a week of camping at Saint Andrews, And fishing.
Besides the obvious bottom fishing for doormats and grouper. What other fish and tactics should be deployed? I am from Indiana, I fish for Stripers/Hybrid stripers and all varieties of salmon and trout up here.
Any sort of trolling that will catch any certain species of fish within 8-10 miles of shore?
Thanks just trying to get my stuff all together before heading down.Eric Enk 812-597-5100

Q2gyro
03-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Spanish and some Kings will be around.

Stop by one of the tackle shops for a few christmas tree rigs. I use my same striper outfits with at least 200+yds of 20-30lb line.

Panhandler80
03-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Wife and I will be towing the 22 footer down for a week of camping at Saint Andrews, And fishing.
Besides the obvious bottom fishing for doormats and grouper. What other fish and tactics should be deployed? I am from Indiana, I fish for Stripers/Hybrid stripers and all varieties of salmon and trout up here.
Any sort of trolling that will catch any certain species of fish within 8-10 miles of shore?
Thanks just trying to get my stuff all together before heading down.Eric Enk 812-597-5100

On the grouper... remember gags are out... only red grouper can be kept.

Trolling... stop by a tackle shop and have them hook you up. You should be able to catch plenty of kings well inside of 8 miles. In fact, during that time of year, some of your monsters are right off the beach. Of course, this is a very very odd year with the winter having been so mild, so who knows. Everything might be in more of a summer pattern by then, BUT it IS still only mid April, so your kings and spanish should be thick near the beach.

Something else to consider is maybe running the beach in hopes of spotting a ling (cobia). A moderate SE wind, with clear skies is ideal. Hang a right at the pass and cruise until the sun is overhead, then turn around and head back. Heading west you'll be traveling with the fish, heading back to the pass you'll meet them head on. Throw a jig or a live bait to them and it should be game on. Ordinarily you'd be in town at the perfect tiem for this, but most folks are not expecting a very good year on the ling this year due to the fact that we alreday have bait here from the warm weather.

All that being said, you're coming at a good time.

If you can throw a cast net, you might also want to try and find a school of menhaden in the head of a bayou somewhere. Trout will ahve just gotten situated back on the grass flats, but the grass won't be covered up with bait, so your live bait from some distant bayou will look very attractive. Most of these fish will be quality fish, too.

There's also the tail end of the sheepshead bite around the jetties in the pass, and you can just about always catch a redfish in the pass with a live bait, fresh dead bait, or shrimp.

All in all, it's a very fishy time. If you have any kind of fishing sense at all, you shouldn't have a hard time putting a bend in your rod.

PH80

crcattypc
03-09-2012, 01:52 PM
And scamp... dont forget the scamp! :)

Panhandler80
03-09-2012, 01:55 PM
And warsaw, jacks, and triggerfish. Everything else is just bait... actually a live triggerfish makes a pretty fine bait if you're in the right area.

ericjeeper
03-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Yes I can throw a net it is just a small 8 footer 16 overall.. But I catch shad up here and have caught lots of bait down there. Was there last october but baitfish were tough to find... Maybe they will be easier in April.. Might run down to the sound with some live bait after some trout again.