PDA

View Full Version : PCB Surf 3/9/12

Michael Repper
03-09-2012, 10:37 AM
3 Pompano from 12-16.5" so far. They loves them some peeled shrimp!

Michael Repper
03-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Just released a 28" redfish!

Panhandler80
03-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Nice.

Surf fishing is the one thing that I have yet to master. Not that I have any other type of fishing really MASTERED, but you know what I mean. I can do just about everything okay, but I've never gotten into the surf fishing deal. Probably because I've only tried a few times and never had any success.

Feel free to post up some pointers! There's definitely some tricks to it, because the guys that I know who go often, consistently catch lots of pompano.

Michael Repper
03-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Feel free to post up some pointers! There's definitely some tricks to it, because the guys that I know who go often, consistently catch lots of pompano.

Well I'm no expert but I am pretty consistent in my approach to surf fishing nowadays. I tie my own 2 hook pompano rigs with 25 lb. test mono and 1/O circle hooks, an orange bead on each dropper before the hook to catch the eye of any passing pomps. I use small pieces of peeled eating shrimp. Usually just one segment of the shrimp per hook. The most important part in my eyes is that I wade out far enough so that I can cast over the first sandbar and into the 2nd trough. I almost feel like my cast is a waste if I don't make it that far. That's not to say you can't catch them closer, I know you can, just my preference. Feel free to ask if you have any questions about something I haven't thought of.