PDA

View Full Version : Kiddie Pool Fishing Report, Sunday 4 March 2012

FLCoyote
03-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Due to high winds we launched out of the state park about 9AM. The wind was coming straight down Grand Lagoon towards the Bay so we just eased along at about 10 knots until we could turn right into the pass. The wind was coming straight off the bank so the water and it was actually calm all the way to the gulf. Started out catching a couple of small but legal Sea Bass drifting before we got to the West jetties. Dropped anchor inside the rocks and let out enough line to drift back over the rocks into 25/30 feet of water. Caught one oversize Redfish at that spot. Watch a charter catch six Sheephead and one slot Redfish. I think they were using live shrimp. They left at about 1130AM and we reanchored in their spot. We caught another five Redfish ranging from 15 to 30 pounds. The closest thing we came to a slot sized fish was 29 inches. Then I caught a 3 pound Pompano, its the first one I know about that was caught this year. We also caught a couple of small Bluefish, a Spiny Boxfish, a Red Pogey and two Toadfish (Mother in Law). One of the Toadfish was bright orange and managed to stick a fin in my son while he was unhooking it. His hand swelled up pretty bad and we quit about 130PM and headed back to the state park ramp. It had really blown up in Grand Lagoon so we just kept the bow up and ran at about 15 knots back to the ramp. We we got home I told my son to go in and put his hand in water as hot as he could stand as hot water will break down most marine toxins. So far it appears to have done the job. Looks like the Sheephead and Pompano are just getting started.
Tight lines.

FLCoyote

crcattypc
03-05-2012, 11:03 AM
That was a nice pomp!

Panhandler80
03-06-2012, 12:08 PM
You sure it was a pompano and not a "bluefish?" ;-)

FLCoyote
03-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Panhandler 80, absolutely a Pompano and a nice one at that. We did catch a couple of small Blues. I was horsing the Pompano in until we got it close enough to identify it the it was loosen up the drag and get the net time. Only been fishing in Florida for about 62 years. Can just about identify any fish caught locally in salt water. The last time I was stumped was about three years ago when one of my fishing buddies caught a Yellow Jack. We sent pictures to NOAA trying to get an I.D. and a marine biologist in Miami came up with the Yellow Jack. Thought it might have floated in from the pacific as a result of storms or unusual currents.

FLCoyote

Panhandler80
03-06-2012, 12:36 PM
I was just joking.

I was in the diesel hard top that pulled in between you and crcattnypc... I saw you fighting it and we both saw that flash and thought it was a bluefish. Then all of a sudden you had your guy running for the net and I was thinking to myself, "this man really loves him some bluefish." Then I saw the pomp come over the rail and we talked about how we both thought it was a bluefish at first.

It was a nice pompano!

crcattypc
03-06-2012, 03:24 PM
It was a new species of silver bluefish (with a gummy mouth)... came down from the nuke power plants on the mississippi... :) JK

Man it looks nice outside right now... I am getting the itch