PDA

View Full Version : Repowering - Looking for Stats / Numbers

bluewater 2350
02-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Guys,

I have a 2001 BW 2350 with a Yamaha 225 ox66 and I'm thinking about repowering with an eTec 250. Has anyone on here made this change? I'm wondering if anyone has recorded fuel consumption numbers, cruise and WOT speed etc.. with the 250 etec. I appreciate any feedback from Bluewater folks.

Thanks!

JOEKEN
02-22-2012, 05:51 PM
I helped a member on here by letting them use my prop. I can't remember their numbers but they were tickled with it using my prop. The prop is a 17 pitch Rebel from BRP. They posted everything but it was on the old site before this upgrade.

JOEKEN
02-22-2012, 05:53 PM
If I remember the boat topped out at 48MPH with a full tank and 5 adults.

bluewater 2350
02-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks Joeken. I'm hoping someone can chime in with specifics at some point.

ChadJ55
02-24-2012, 12:55 PM
48mph seems a little bit optimistic to me for that boat with 250hp pushing five adults and a full tank of fuel. That sounds realistic on a light load though. With a Suziki 300 I top out between 50 and 52 light, but probably more in the 47mph range loaded with 5 adults and fuel. Not saying it's impossible, just sounds a little on the high side with that sort of load and 250hp on the 2350. The other consideration is the year of the hull. KevinWings on here has the same motor and prop as me on his 2350, but his boat is (I believe) pre-2003 when BW moved the console and fuel tank forward for weight distribution. Mine is a 2004 and it seems like I'm getting a little better numbers out of mine, despite being essentially the same boat and motor. I do hear good things about the Etecs, but will of course throw a plug for the 300 Zuki which I am happy with. best of luck! Repowering is a lot of fun (aside from the $$$). You'll feel like it's a brand new boat.

-Chad

JOEKEN
02-25-2012, 03:18 PM
48mph seems a little bit optimistic to me for that boat with 250hp pushing five adults and a full tank of fuel. That sounds realistic on a light load though. With a Suziki 300 I top out between 50 and 52 light, but probably more in the 47mph range loaded with 5 adults and fuel. Not saying it's impossible, just sounds a little on the high side with that sort of load and 250hp on the 2350. The other consideration is the year of the hull. KevinWings on here has the same motor and prop as me on his 2350, but his boat is (I believe) pre-2003 when BW moved the console and fuel tank forward for weight distribution. Mine is a 2004 and it seems like I'm getting a little better numbers out of mine, despite being essentially the same boat and motor. I do hear good things about the Etecs, but will of course throw a plug for the 300 Zuki which I am happy with. best of luck! Repowering is a lot of fun (aside from the $$$). You'll feel like it's a brand new boat.

-Chad You are correct it was 47 with the load we had. My 11 year old remembered. I was just able to ride in one with a 250 Suzuki with 2 adults and 20 gallons of fuel and it was a pig compared to the ETEC. I would love to ride in one with a 300 Suzuki and a 300 Yamaha. I love the look of the lower unit of the 300 Zuke.Too me the 300 Yamaha is the best looking engine out there. I don't run wide open very often but I do like to get on a plane very fast and for that I think the 300 ETEC will be what I go with.

campertop
02-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Chad, what prop are you running on your 300

plastered
02-26-2012, 07:18 AM
I have a 2850 with twin 300 suzuki they have 1100 hours and i have not
had a problem with them also great on fuel. I have a friend that has a 2550
with twin 200 etecs and he uses more fuel than i do in a day of fishing.

ChadJ55
02-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Chad, what prop are you running on your 300
It's a 3x16x18.5R.

Kevinwwings2
04-16-2012, 06:46 AM
Chad my 2350 is a 2003. Interesting about them moving the fuel and stuff forward. I do know my numbers are short of everyone elses numbers, wonder if mine is a left over 02 with an 03 vin. I am running the same prop and my top is about 45 2 people and full fuel. I am also not making the full 6,000 rpm. For some reason I also require a bunch of right tab to level the boat, it always wants to lean to the left. No clue why, drives me crazy. We have learned to load the boat so it balances it out, and avoid using so much tab. The lean gets worse the more fuel you burn out of the tank too.

ChadJ55
04-16-2012, 09:18 AM
How much are you trimming the motor up after you get onto plane? It almost sounds like the motor is trimmed too far down from the way you describe the speed, rpms and torque/lean. We do need to find a time when you can come out on mine and compare the difference.

Kevinwwings2
04-27-2012, 10:06 PM
I am trimming up around 30% which I belive is how it reads. I have had it as high as 45, and depending on load, sea condition and all it will start to porpoise (an indication it is trimmed up too far). I usually trim till it porpoises then drop it till it stops. I am for sure not seeing your kinds of numbers. We should go fishing together sometime, down there or up here doesn't matter. As much as I hate to admit it I am just biding my time enoying this boat till the next upgrade comes along. Not sure what it will be, or even when as I am not looking yet, just starting to compile a list of possibilities.

reef raida
06-05-2012, 07:36 AM
I have an 02 2350 built in April, and it was built after they moved the tank forward. Strange but mine always leans to the left also, but I think it's worse with more fuel. I always thought the tank was alittle off center.

Kevinwwings2
04-17-2013, 11:52 PM
I have been noticing the amount of lean and trim tab required has a lot to do with amount of weight forward. It seems to make the most difference as my fresh water tank is full or empty. Seems to have something to do with it. Have yet to totally figure it out, just observations.

BigMike
05-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Interesting. My 2012 2150 with 225 Suzuki runs with a significant list to port as well. I usually end up having to run one tab full up and one tab full down. Also can't trim more than about 10% before the porpoising gets pretty annoying. My boat runs very bow high and it's impossible to drop the bow in a head sea. I'm working with a prop shop now that believes the engine is mounted too low and the boat needs a stern lifting 4 blade prop like a Bravo 1. I'm also looking at what it would take to move the batteries from the transom area to the console or front floor box. I think the engine may be a little heavy for the boat.

bmoody
05-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Good old 'gangster lean'. Many folks on this board had or have it. I wouldn't have a BW w/o tabs as a result.
Stern weight is an interesting point in this -- my current 200 on my 2350 strikes me as so much lighter than anything I could repower with these days.

Chad, do you know the weight of the 225 you replaced compared to the 300 you're running now? Chad and others have reported such good results with the Suzy 300 that I'd have to make it a top contender if I were to get serious about a repower.