PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a bertram

timbo615
01-25-2012, 07:02 PM
I am looking for a 30 ft or bigger. I plan to put outboards on it so I would actually like one with no/blown motors. Pm what you have and a price, pics would be great I don't mind traveling for the right deal. Thanks

t_bare
01-25-2012, 10:19 PM
http://www.spearfishingplanet.com/boats-sale/25158-1971-bertram-flybridge-sportfisher.html

Something I saw on another forum.

t_bare

testerman28
01-26-2012, 06:42 AM
You should come and see our little 28 it is the first one I re-powered to outboards. it would give you an idea of what you want.

timbo615
01-26-2012, 02:55 PM
t_bare- thank you and i am sending him a message...

testerman:

Yeah i would love too. I hear these guys are the only ones who can be converted to outboards because of their lines. I was looking at a luhrs but talked to some people and they said it wouldnt run right with the outboards. Where are you located?

testerman28
01-27-2012, 07:09 AM
we are off griffin and 95 on the dania cut off canal. boat is in the water and in back of my house. we are on our 2nd set of motors on this girl now. the guy Dave Napier that designed and built the 28' bertram lives on the same road about a block away. there were 14 outboard bertrams made from the factory with OMC sea drives back in the start and most never knew they started out this way. I totally rip out everything though and move the galley back 14" and rip out the cafeteria style seating and put in a long day bench / shelf (makes it able to couch fish ..) we have been as far as harbour island east and the dry tortugas south. the decks get cut back flat without without the step down step up bs that the inboard engines require. come by and take a look.

timbo615
01-27-2012, 10:02 AM
will do can we pm some more information so i can set up a time thats good for you and me....I really really appreciate it :hail might not be till this summer when we are making a run for lobster in the keys....i am located near St Pete

sharkatak1089
01-27-2012, 10:03 AM
:rotflmao

Knizbo
04-11-2012, 09:36 PM
I have owned my 1972 28 Bertram for 12 years. I am frustrated with the lack of reliabilty and constant mechanical issues with the 350 GMC Marine Power engines. I am ready to do an outboard conversion. I converted a 26 Stamas hardtop to outboards 15-20 years ago and it was a great boat. I would appreciate your thoughts, comments and advice, including the pitfalls, in making this conversion.

testerman28
04-13-2012, 09:08 AM
to answer your question the engine room on the 28's were a good size even for a set of the 351 cu.in. fords and the batteries but they mounted them on wooden beams bolted to glassed in stringers and most rotted in the aft or forward because of the hatch drains, fiberglass fuel tank that holds the deck up and now cannot handle the fuel (they get mushy..), loud, oil dripping gas engines .. smell, tight galley and cafeteria seating, and a downstairs helm that was built for.. well no one.. :)
now you take and pull the engines out, take the back deck plate off.. ( cut the fiberglass tabbing to the top of the fuel tank), empty and cut out the old fiberglass fuel tank, rip out all wires and plumbing and have someone sand blast the inside your rebuild will go easier.
I like two 98 gallon tanks they fit underneath the floor nice. two saddle water tanks, a head holding tank, new rariatan push button toilet, move the galley back 14" and take anything such as microwaves and refrigerators out.. ( it is a faster boat with outboards..), make a large bench couch / daybed out of the cafeteria seating area.. , cut the step up - step down - step down engine hatch decks off the boat.. along with the aft set of rails and replace that with a flat deck, stand up live well or storage and electronic controls and then you have a boat..
you do not need any more power than a set of 250's on a good custom bracket that is deep ve'ed and also makes a great dive platform.. neat little boats by far.

Zack
04-13-2012, 10:14 AM
:ttiwwop

How about a photo or two?

testerman28
04-13-2012, 01:25 PM
my 28 ..

where the old engine hatch area used to be step - up now it seems to be the place to be and you toss a bean bag on and life is good.

the side stand up live well is nice and doubles as a seat, the erector set type old stainless fly bridge seat was not up to outboard speeds and we had a stainless welded rails and seat . we have a set of 225 merc optimax 25" shafts on our boat we had 4 stroke 225's but with ethanol you could not keep up with the vst tank and pumps. she rolls at 39.8 knots full out with rev 4 4 bladed wheels, she is great for us and we dive some so the aft dive ladder is easy to pop down and get in, she holds 42 gallons of fresh water also. with the dts electronic merc controls upstairs and aft deck / inside controls are nice. we run garmin electronics. 4 batteries and even an inverter... notice no bertram vents to kick your toes or shins on? we have a 117 gallon and a 98 gallon tank in her. lots of storage..!

testerman28
04-14-2012, 07:56 AM
most of the boats you will see out there are from the 70's to 80's with very little difference in build except for the aft cap rails. the boats were all built as a inner liner / pieces boat. bertram was a great builder in quality in that time and they built simple. the fuel tanks if they are gas are trash on everyone I have seen. makes for filter and engine problems and it is best to just think smart and add new tanks. plus you cannot rebuild the transom strong with it in there is no room. I use epoxy instead of fiberglass and vacuum bag in layers of okume and fir and build some cool knee walls. you need to wrap all corners also to about 4' on each side because you will break it if you do not they are 11' beams. you can sleep people on the bridge, back deck, inside and seat up to 4 people upstairs while trolling around or just riding around. the outboards let you go in shallow water and the boat loaded is still lighter than the inboards without fuel.

testerman28
04-15-2012, 08:21 AM
basically do it right if you plan on doing it!

so glad I do not have running gear.. :) takes talent and not watching the tide..

popped up a couple more pics to show you what you should look like ..
all fuel and old wire leaves. a sawz-all and a wet vac are your best friends for a short time.
replace rotten bulkheads. I still use epoxy coated marine ply with glass for transom, bulkheads and stringers. you can use core on decks, partitions and the boxes. a teak deck looks sharp in these boats.

testerman28
04-16-2012, 05:30 PM
real nice thing about continental trailers.. they hold your boat.. :) triple axle brakes make your trailer better.

WaterEngineer
04-17-2012, 04:51 AM
The tape around the dive ladder is a nice touch.

testerman28
04-17-2012, 07:37 AM
beings we do a bunch of diving and they are making more tape and razor blades to repack it without crimping your fingers on a dive .. yes it is.. :)

if anyone can figure out a bumper stop on the ladder without using tape I am all in..

nice part is that I can go forward or aft with the boat without having to bring it in every time someone gets in. we do a bunch of drift dives.