PDA

View Full Version : Bait pods - south of Port Canaveral

dwyermw
06-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Probably threw at 15 bait pods from 11 AM to 2:30 PM just off the breakfronts. Some blues cutting through the pogies but I did not see any jacks, tarpon . Tossed pinfish and pogies to the bait balls. I had big expectations. Again, the fish were pretty safe with me out there!

Celtic Knots
06-25-2011, 03:58 AM
how big were the pogies?

dwyermw
06-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Pogies are fom 3 to 6 inches. On Saturday, went out in my buddies 21" Scout and we hit the wreck off of the streeples. Maybe 6 miles out and 50'. A.gain, careful trolling and throwing into bait pods but just a few sharks. Frustrating

profit
06-28-2011, 08:11 AM
dwyermw I agree that the fish are safe with you on the H20. You must be a compassionate angler:) Try locating pods in 20 to 50 ft and slow troll pogies. Maybe down by Patrick is a good bet.

KPfish
06-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Tried slow trolling pogies on sunday for hours from 25-50 foot off patrick without a single sniff. Ran back to the buoy line where the sharks ran through the rest of my bait. On the run back to the bouy line there were plenty of bait pods that we stopped to check with nothing to show. Did pick up some nice sardines around the last set buoys on the sabiki. Did not see too much out there all day. Just sharks and bonita. A couple more weeks and the king bite should really kick in.
Good Luck!!
Kyle

Flyguy1
06-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Be patient, the fish are there.. We landed a 120~ tarpon the other day in the PAB area from our yaks..

Captain Hook
06-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Landed a 100lb tarpon and a 6ft shark from the yak on Sunday a couple miles south of patrick. Tarpon came on a free lined pin fish, the shark on a 7inch mullet slow trolled.

wptaxidermy
07-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Landed a 100lb tarpon and a 6ft shark from the yak on Sunday a couple miles south of patrick. Tarpon came on a free lined pin fish, the shark on a 7inch mullet slow trolled.

That has to be an experience - a 100 lb. Tarpon off a Yak!

Captain Hook
07-03-2011, 01:41 AM
yeah good experience, looking to duplicate it again tomorrow am

dwyermw
07-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Well, we looked for yaks off patrick and found two! Again, drifted pogies and mullet. Nothing. Ran back tothe cans -saw nothin. Must be an afternoon bite. Maybe it is my partner?

optimistic Angler
07-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Well, we looked for yaks off patrick and found two! Again, drifted pogies and mullet. Nothing.

I caught one yak yesterday on a jig must have been 17' he wasn't happy and put up a good fight
I don't have any pics though :Grin

profit
07-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Be careful, yaks are out of season now. Made the same mistake of landing one recently and he demanded a sandwich and a 6-pack.

dwyermw
07-05-2011, 11:28 AM
My poor communication/writing style is turning this blog into an internet comedy club! On my last trip I decided to find yaks since the yaks seem to be catching fish and following bait pods was unproductive for me. It was a tough yak trip, (saw two, both fishless) and again, returning to the ramp FISHLESS, I find out from the marina guy pumping gas, that most of the fish caught near shore have been hooked in the afternoon! Which makes perfect sense since during the last four trips I have gone in the morning. The good news about the morning/afternoon thing is that I have quit blaming my partner for our fishless trips.

optimistic Angler
07-05-2011, 03:35 PM
dwyermw, I knew what you meant I was just having fun with ya :beer

profit
07-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Ok, we are now going out of PC on my fishing partner's boat (after 2 trips in mine) and we will now see if we can stir up some trouble. He likes to find the yaks, then locate the fish, however I like to read the water and follow the pogie pods. So I will stick with what I know. Will watch for the birds and observe the temperment of the bait schools. I believe that presentation is the key, so tomorrow we will discover what the best strategy will be. I am confident in mine and we will see how the day will develop. Stay tuned........

dwyermw
07-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Ok, so we go out Saturday. This time in my 19' Action Craft Flats boat. Of course, Profit shows up late and we launch at 9:30 AM. NO PODS OFF THE BEACHes! Decide to run the beach and go north up the bight into the shoals. Sierra mackeral but NO PODS!. CAtch some mack and sand sharks. Next we run out to north of the cans and see nothing. Hit the cans and even the smaller (look like barracudda) aren't interested in our blue runners. Load up and head to Millikens Reef for burgers. Fishing with Profit takes patience. I covered Profit's action at Milliken's reef. We are not out far enough.

KPfish
07-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Surf fished Mel Beach last night and the water was ******* COLD!! That may be why the pogies have gone into hiding. There were plenty of, what looked like, threadfins flipping outside the break. There were a ton of tarpon rolling and pelicans diving. As for the surf fishing, slow with a few small sand perch. Plan on going out either late this week or early next week and hope this cooler water moving in does not shut down the bite.
GOOD LUCK!!!
Kyle

catchme1
07-11-2011, 12:50 PM
was out on the july 5th pogies off patrick and cobies on hetzel was sore for two days all the cobies were 40-50 lbs