PDA

View Full Version : Alaqua or Black creek reports?

redlipper
12-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Went to Alaqua Saturday and fished from Hwy 20 to the mouth using live shrimp and jigs. Got one small trout and one small redfish in the creek and picked up two keeper trout near the mouth. It was my first time fishing Alaqua and i was wondering if anyone else has had any good days there or at Blackwater this winter.

Split Shot
12-21-2011, 04:49 PM
You beat me to it. I never fished it.

I have fished for bass and brim on the upper part of Black Creek with some success.

redlipper
12-21-2011, 05:03 PM
I am planning on going back around the second week of Jan. maybe they will be moved up and concentated a little more.

jonesrw
12-22-2011, 10:31 AM
I've fished Alaqua many times. It is a real hit and miss place. I've never really got into large trout there but some days I've caught 50 or more small ones, with maybe 2 or 3 keepers mixed in. Other days, 1 or 2 small ones and that's it.

redlipper
12-22-2011, 11:14 AM
What about Black creek for winter trout?

PennFish
12-22-2011, 11:57 AM
I haven't fished Black Creek in a few years but it and the main mouth of Choctaw always held fish in the winter. We would drift the bottom ends with grubs or live shrimp, the colder it gets the further up the river we'd move.

donald811
12-22-2011, 12:47 PM
PennFish is right on the lower choctaw, all them fingers will have fish from now till it warms up. I like curley tail grubs trolled real slow.

jonesrw
12-22-2011, 03:47 PM
I've also tried fishing the ditch between Choctaw and PC in the winter. I've done pretty well there, at times! Just be careful navigating around, there are some pretty shallow areas off the main channel.

Same techniques, jigs w/grubs fished slow on the bottom. I also use Gulp jerk shad a lot too. I have found those to be the most consistant producer. Another thing that works when the water gets really cold is to use a small plastic worm, like a finesse worm, threaded on a jig head like a grub. I like the 4 inchers best.

PennFish
12-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Jonesrw i've never done much good in the ditch, little trout around the creek spillways but that been it. Now Bunker Cove has been a different story ( between the river and the ditch) has been pretty good at times.

Ron-da-vu
12-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Good thread. We need more like this.

quartertyme
12-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Fished the river the other day for trout and all we found was Bass on live shrimp!!!!! Got to get to know that river better cause others are catching a lot of trout....."local Knowledge" rules

PennFish
12-26-2011, 03:07 PM
1/4T don't know how you were fishing the river but if you cast to the banks and work out you will pick up more bass. Trout will lay more in the river channels close to th bottom. We would drag grubs or live shrimp down the middle of the river with just enough weight to keep it on the bottom.

redlipper
12-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Ya'll have got me ready to go give it another try in a couple of weekends. Thanks for all the great information. If any of you go within the next few days , let me know how you did.