PDA

View Full Version : Are Yellowmouth Trout or Black Drum biting near downtown or the Buckman Bridge?

redbone440
12-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Looking to try fishing this part of the river for the first time ever and am looking for any general tips/advice.
I've heard that there's some spots near NAS that are good for croakers in the summer. Anyone know if those same spots would be good for yellowmouths and black drum this time of year? Also, if I were to fish around the Buckman bridge, what might I catch with dead shrimp on the bottom or working jigs or crankbaits? Are there stripers around the Buckman this time of year?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Redbone

tag
12-15-2011, 07:03 AM
You might get more answers if this was posted in the general fishing section. Not many people look down here.

Keep in mind while fishing around NAS. There is a security zone that extends into the water (100ft or 100yds not sure which) around NAS that includes mulberry cove.

Check out this link for the zone. http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11492.shtml

Flatheadfisherman
12-17-2011, 09:22 AM
I got a report the other day of some nice black drum(4-16 lbs) under the Dames Point Bridge on the last of the incoming tide.

I might go fishing around the Buckman Monday so I will post a fishing report. I usually fish the channel markers for croakers/yellowmouth, fishing fresh dead shrimp on the bottom.

This striper report was in the paper last week " Striped bass in the 3- to 6-pound range are in good supply in the St. Johns from the Florida 16 bridge to Goodby’s Creek in Mandarin. Low-light conditions are best during moving tides. Live shrimp and minnow baits work well, but some fish are hitting dead shrimp on the bottom, and jigs tipped with shrimp or GULP grubs. Trollers using diving plugs are beginning to get stripers from the Shands and Buckman bridge areas of the St. Johns River."

I fish for freshwater catfish a lot. They should be piling up around the bridge soon if they aren't already there, especially when the water temperature gets down into the mid 50's. Fish shrimp, worms, cut mullet or shad on the bottom. Good luck.