PDA

View Full Version : help me out real quick...food question

Ro-Bear
12-08-2011, 07:03 PM
So I have some smoked turkey sausage that is about a month past it's experation date. It was in the fridge the whole time, but I think it was frozen for a bit. It looks fine in the package and I guess if it smells ok I'm going to eat it. Could this lead to me getting some weird sickness or turning into a zombie? I'm thinking of starting cooking it in about 15 min.

FlyLow
12-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Is that an expiration date or a 'Sell By' date?

Mackeral Snatcher
12-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Should be ripe about now:hungry
Let us know (if you can) how it goes:grin

Redchaser
12-08-2011, 07:07 PM
see you in the hospital

catfishin
12-08-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm no food expert but I think as long as it was smoked and cooked to the right temp it probably won't kill you. Not sure about the zombie thing though.

Baits Out
12-08-2011, 07:09 PM
"Smoked sausage" are the key words; and I would guess that a nice application of microwaves would be your friends just in case.

??

Ro-Bear
12-08-2011, 07:16 PM
It's Oscar Meyer sausage. I have no idea how it was cooked or "smoked". Like I said, I think it was frozen for a while and it's been in the fridge who knows how long. The date doesn't have "experation" on it. Hopefully it's a "sell by" date. It was never opened. I'm a bit too far from Wal-Mart to take it back too. I'm fixin' to go make a drink and see if it's good. I have no idea what else to make fer dinner if it's bad. Prayers may be needed.

Triple Threat 33T
12-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Was it in a vacuum sealed package?

bluewatermafia
12-08-2011, 07:20 PM
go for it! long as it dont smell funny. just put some extra hot sauce on it

FlyLow
12-08-2011, 07:21 PM
go for it! long as it dont smell funny. just put some extra hot sauce on it

This!

catfishin
12-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Make it a STRONG drink and you should be just fine.

Capt.Ed
12-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Sinse none of us are really experts on this subject, you could actually help us all out by eating it and letting us know what happens if anything. this way the next time someone ask this same question we will all be so much more helpfull in our reply. :-)

Dude
12-08-2011, 07:23 PM
I would toss it out and find another option. $3-$4 bucks is NOT worth the misery IMHO.

fishonhenson
12-08-2011, 07:34 PM
if n doubt, throw it out

bluewatermafia
12-08-2011, 07:38 PM
i think a better question is " who the hell bought the turkey sausage!?"

got ants?
12-08-2011, 07:40 PM
On food packaged like this, I would think it would be safe. Think of bologna, salami, hot dogs, in an unopened package. Besides the smell test, I would also do the feel test. Good food of this type should have a slippery feel. Sticky, in this case, is bad.

I have eaten salami from the deli, that sat in the fridge for a month, with no ill effects.

btw, the date on the package is a sell by date....

got ants?
12-08-2011, 07:41 PM
i think a better question is " who the hell bought the turkey sausage!?"

With a cholesterol over 200, Mrs. Ants does... :facepalm

Bruce LB
12-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Throw it out and buy some Jimmy Dean original or spicy sausage and cook away.

Joey Buttons
12-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Eat it and be a man.

spinfreak
12-08-2011, 08:39 PM
The wimmin folk should be the one worrying about dinner

Ro-Bear
12-08-2011, 11:24 PM
She was working and I took over cooking duties. It smelled and felt fine. I cooked it and tasted a piece and it seemed fine. I added a man sized drink to my meal along with a heathly dose of tabasco. I added a splash of tabasco to my lovley Wife's meal and we will not be expecting any children in the near future to put it nicely. I guess we have different definitions of "spicey". Her's is a bit milder than mine. So far neither of us has crossed over into a zombie.

Split Shot
12-08-2011, 11:35 PM
She was working her you know, and I took over cooking duties. It smelled and felt fine. I cooked it and tasted a piece and it seemed fine. I added a man sized drink to my meal along with a heathly dose of tabasco. I added a splash of tabasco to my lovley Wife's meal and we will not be expecting any children in the near future to put it nicely. I guess we have different definitions of "spicey". Her's is a bit milder than mine. So far neither of us has crossed over into a zombie.

Never heard it put quite that way ...but roll with it! :beer

Split Shot
12-08-2011, 11:44 PM
She was working her you know, and I took over cooking duties. It smelled and felt fine. I cooked it and tasted a piece and it seemed fine. I added a man sized drink to my meal along with a heathly dose of tabasco. I added a splash of tabasco to my lovley Wife's meal and we will not be expecting any children in the near future to put it nicely. I guess we have different definitions of "spicey". Her's is a bit milder than mine. So far neither of us has crossed over into a zombie.

Never heard it put quite that way ...but roll with it! :beer

Abelman
12-09-2011, 01:12 AM
She was working and I took over cooking duties. It smelled and felt fine. I cooked it and tasted a piece and it seemed fine. I added a man sized drink to my meal along with a heathly dose of tabasco. I added a splash of tabasco to my lovley Wife's meal and we will not be expecting any children in the near future to put it nicely. I guess we have different definitions of "spicey". Her's is a bit milder than mine. So far neither of us has crossed over into a zombie.

You're the man! That's too fuuny.

Give us a report in the morning but I suspect things will be fine :grin

Lobstercatcher229
12-09-2011, 03:43 AM
my wife would throw out the old sausage. I would eat it. I get more tummy cramps/diarrhea than she does.

bottom feeder
12-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Send it over to the guys in "Hunting" they claim they find stuff in their freezers that's 3 years old and it tastes the same as the day they put it in there.

Ro-Bear
12-10-2011, 12:08 AM
I think the sausage was fine. I think the "aged" flavor might have added a bit to the meal as a matter of fact. It seemed ok. I might have over done it with the drinks and tabasco though. I had leftovers for dinner tonight and my lovely, and she is lovely, Wife grabbed my portion laden with tabasco and sriracha hot sauce. She had one bite and was not too happy. I tried to explain that it was not my fault, but logic failed in the argument. I'm thinking the companies put those dates on the packages to make you buy more of their product. I've eaten more than my fair share of "expired" Tom Thumb sammies and nothing bad has happened yet. I'm a firm believer in the freeze it fresh and it's fine theory as well. So far, as far as I can tell, we are both just fine.

Mackeral Snatcher
12-10-2011, 01:23 AM
Glad to see your still with us 24 hours later............that means your probably not gonna die:thumbsup
I aint promising..........I'm just guessing

Do you have a boat you would like to leave to me if things don't work out as planned:angel