PDA

View Full Version : snook - multiple hooks on artificial lures?

flcracker64
06-20-2011, 12:34 PM
I received some confusing information from the FWC on their "Ask FWC" web page.

I completely understand that multiple hooks and treble hooks are not allowed for snook when using live or dead natural bait.

However, they said that multiple hooks are not allowed on artificial lures either.

Specifically, they said that a fisherman must remove all but one treble hook from an artificial lure in order to legally harvest snook.

Is this a correct interperetation of the rule?

Does this apply to catch-and-release fishing as well (seeing as how snook harvest is currently closed)?

Thanks!

pupraiser
06-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Post exactly what was said.

Here is the exact rule from the regs:

T Harvest prohibited by or with the use of any multiple hook in conjunction with live or dead natural bait.

flcracker64
06-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Here's the whole Q&A thread:

----------------------------------------------------------------
Customer via CSS Web 06/17/2011 12:35 PM Is stir pole (calcutta pole, swisher stick, beef stick) fishing allowed for snook? I understand that the season is closed for snook so any caught would be catch-and-release. Just wondering if the method described is still legal these days. Thanks!
Response MFM-NF via Email 06/20/2011 09:29 AM Can you please define what you mean by a stir pole? I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to and want to make sure I give you proper information.
Customer via CSS Web 06/20/2011 10:12 AM A stir pole is a length of sturdy calcutta pole (solid bamboo, rattan, "cane pole") about 10 - 15 ft long, with a similar-length wire or heavy leader for the line - attached to a swivel at the tip of the pole. The bait is either a whole mullet, pinfish, ladyfish, or artificial lure using either "regular" or treble hooks. Basically, you stand on the bridge or pier, stick the bait in the water, and "stir" or "swish" the bait in a figure-eight pattern to attract the snook. The theory is that once the big ol' snook has gotten fed up with watching your bait splashing around, he smashes into your bait and you have to horse him out from under the pilings. It's an old-Florida method of snook fishing that has pretty much faded out in this day and age.
Response MFM-NF via Email 06/20/2011 10:22 AM That's what I thought you were referring to, but I wanted to make sure we are on the same page. You are allowed to harvest snook in that manner with one exception. You are not allowed to harvest snook using a treble hook while using live or dead natural baits or with the use of multiple hooks. I hope this answers your question.
Customer via CSS Web 06/20/2011 10:34 AM Thank you! Just to be clear - multiple treble hooks ARE allowed on artificial lures, right?

Also - catch-and-release of snook is OK even though the season is closed, right?

Thanks!!!
Response MFM-NF via Email 06/20/2011 10:38 AM You could use a single treble hook with artificial bait. Even though snook are closed to harvest, the fishery is still open to catch and release. I hope this helps.
Customer via CSS Web 06/20/2011 10:53 AM That is a bit confusing - all common lures that people use for snook fishing (Bang-O-Lure, Rapala, Zara Spook) have at least two treble hooks. These are legal, aren't they?
Response MFM-NF via Email 06/20/2011 10:55 AM No, you would not be able to use these unless you removed one of the treble hooks. Multiple hook rigs are prohibited when targeting snook.
And here is the text of the rule:

68B-21.007 Restrictions on Gear and Methods Used to Take Snook.

(1) The taking or attempted taking of snook within or without state waters is prohibited except by use of hook and line gear. For purposes of this chapter, the phrase “hook and line gear” includes any rod and reel or any pole to which such hook and line are attached, as well as any bob, float, weight, lure, plug, spoon and/or standard bait attached thereto. However, the harvest of snook within or without state waters by or with the use of any treble hook in conjunction with live or dead natural bait is prohibited.

(2) It is unlawful to take or attempt to take snook by use of any net, seine or trap, or by use of any gang hook, multiple hooks, snatch hooks, or by spearing, or by any device designed or intended to impale or hook the fish by any part of its body other than its mouth, or by use of any other device not specifically permitted in subsection (1) of this section. What is commonly called snook snatching is prohibited within or without the waters of this state.

(3) It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation while fishing, using, transporting or possessing any net, seine, trap or other fishing device not specifically permitted in subsection (1) of this rule to have in its possession any snook. This prohibition shall not apply to possession aboard a vessel of cast nets if they are secured and stored off the deck of the vessel. Any snook accidentally taken by any trap, net or seine shall not be deemed to be possessed in violation of this rule if such snook is immediately returned to the water free, alive and unharmed.

So what gives? Is it actually illegal to harvest snook (once the season is re-opened) with a basic Zara Spook?

pupraiser
06-20-2011, 01:05 PM
I sure hope they gave wrong information...or a lot of people will be in trouble.

sharkatak1089
06-20-2011, 01:13 PM
The day you see me remove any hooks when fishing for snook, will be..the day. The second/third treble isn't there for no reason. It helps balance things out to give the lure the most natural look(At least for diving plugs). Topwater is totally different, from my experience. I cut off hooks if I know I'll be hooking a lot of trout/ladies/jacks. Whoever you had that conversation with was clearly reading directly from the book, and probably doesn't know what a snook even looks like. Isn't that sad?

flcracker64
06-20-2011, 01:18 PM
I've requested that they double-check their answer and will post their reply when I get it.

Roc N Rol
06-20-2011, 01:29 PM
The way it reads you would have to take all hooks off the lure except a single hook or a treble hook to keep a snook caught with the lure.

flcracker64
06-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Here's their reply - I guess we've been a State full of lawbreakers since Rapalas first hit the market....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Customer via CSS Web 06/20/2011 12:11 PM Please double-check this. If what you are saying is correct, thousands upon thousands of Florida anglers have been doing it illegally for quite a long time.

Specifically - if (after snook are legal to harvest again) I go to the tackle shop and buy a Zara Spook artificial lure with two or three treble hooks installed on it from the factory, then I go fishing hoping to catch a redfish, snook, or seatrout and I catch a snook with it without removing all but one of the treble hooks - you are saying that this is illegal?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Response MFM-NF via Email 06/20/2011 12:31 PM Rule 68B-21.007 Restrictions on Gear and Methods Used to Take Snook.
part (2) states:
It is unlawful to take or attempt to take snook by use of any net, seine or trap, or by use of any gang hook, multiple hooks, snatch hooks, or by spearing, or by any device designed or intended to impale or hook the fish by any part of its body other than its mouth, or by use of any other device not specifically permitted in subsection (1) of this section. What is commonly called snook snatching is prohibited within or without the waters of this state.

As you can see it prohibits taking or attempting to take snook using a multiple hook rig. If you catch a snook on a multi-hook rig you are required to release it by law.
Customer via CSS Web 06/20/2011 12:48 PM OK thanks.

Maybe the FWC should clarify this on the saltwater regulation summary chart. There is nothing on the chart about anything other than treble hooks being illegal when using live or dead natural bait.

See the "T" note at the bottom of page 2:
http://myfwc.com/media/1349466/2011_jan_sw-chart.pdf

T - Harvest prohibited by or with the use of any multiple hook in conjunction with live or dead natural bait.

AND there's nothing about this in the "printer-friendly saltwater regulations" on the FWC web page (same chart is reproduced on page 7).

http://myfwc.com/media/1334405/swprinterfriendly.pdf

OR in the interactive saltwater regulations OR anywhere else on the FWC website, other than in the "Full-text version" of the rule.

Thank you for your help!

pupraiser
06-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Here's their reply - I guess we've been a State full of lawbreakers since Rapalas first hit the market....

Customer via CSS Web 06/20/2011 12:11 PM Please double-check this. If what you are saying is correct, thousands upon thousands of Florida anglers have been doing it illegally for quite a long time.

Specifically - if (after snook are legal to harvest again) I go to the tackle shop and buy a Zara Spook artificial lure with two or three treble hooks installed on it from the factory, then I go fishing hoping to catch a redfish, snook, or seatrout and I catch a snook with it without removing all but one of the treble hooks - you are saying that this is illegal?
Response MFM-NF via Email 06/20/2011 12:31 PM Rule 68B-21.007 Restrictions on Gear and Methods Used to Take Snook.
part (2) states:
It is unlawful to take or attempt to take snook by use of any net, seine or trap, or by use of any gang hook, multiple hooks, snatch hooks, or by spearing, or by any device designed or intended to impale or hook the fish by any part of its body other than its mouth, or by use of any other device not specifically permitted in subsection (1) of this section. What is commonly called snook snatching is prohibited within or without the waters of this state.

As you can see it prohibits taking or attempting to take snook using a multiple hook rig. If you catch a snook on a multi-hook rig you are required to release it by law.

I believe this section is to address snatching/snagging snook.

Do you have section 1?

Gary S. Colecchio
06-20-2011, 02:18 PM
It's clear enough. The probibiton is against a snagging device as defined by the rest of the sentence.

It is unlawful to take or attempt to take snook by use of any net, seine or trap, or by use of any gang hook, multiple hooks, snatch hooks, or by spearing, or by any device designed or intended to impale or hook the fish by any part of its body other than its mouth...

So, you can't catch one in a net. You can't spear one and you can't try to snag one with a treble hook.

But you can use a Mirrolure , Rapala, Bomber or anything else with multiple trebles designed for a fish to bite.

sharkatak1089
06-20-2011, 08:06 PM
The other trebles could be considered stingers, if the officer wants to be a D(ck about it. I've heard of officers doing things crazier. NO respect, whatsoever.

Marlinman814
06-21-2011, 09:36 PM
It's clear enough. The probibiton is against a snagging device as defined by the rest of the sentence.

It is unlawful to take or attempt to take snook by use of any net, seine or trap, or by use of any gang hook, multiple hooks, snatch hooks, or by spearing, or by any device designed or intended to impale or hook the fish by any part of its body other than its mouth...

So, you can't catch one in a net. You can't spear one and you can't try to snag one with a treble hook.

But you can use a Mirrolure , Rapala, Bomber or anything else with multiple trebles designed for a fish to bite.

Gary is correct nothing in FAC 68B-21.007 prohibits the use of treble hooks except for the purposes of "snatching" or when used in conjunction with "live or dead natural bait."

flcracker64
06-27-2011, 03:16 PM
This is NUTS - the Southwest office of FWC told me that multiple treble hooks on an artificial lure are perfectly OK. However, when I called the FWC Law Enforcement office in Tallahassee, the officer who took the call told me that multiple hooks - including treble hooks on an artificial lure - are NOT allowed for harvesting snook. When I pointed out to him that Paragraph 2 of the snook rule appears to deal with snatching he disagreed and said that the use of a Zara Spook with multiple treble hooks is illegal for the harvest of snook. I pointed out that this is not mentioned anywhere in the annual saltwater regulations handbook, and he said that they don't have the space to print the whole rule but that it is still illegal under the formal rule.

Raise your hands - has ANYONE ever been cited by an FWC officer for taking a legal-sized snook during open season with a Zara Spook or similar lure? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :0(

Gary S. Colecchio
06-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Don't worry about it.

flcracker64
07-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Finally got this resolved - called the SW office in Lakeland and was told it was OK. Then I called Tallahassee, and the officer who returned my call said it was illegal. Finally yesterday I got this reply on "Ask FWC":

Customer via CSS Web 06/27/2011 01:46 PM
I called the Southwest office and they said that you are incorrect. The prohibition on multiple treble hooks only applies to live or dead natural bait and to "snatching" - not to artificial lures that come from the store with two treble hooks on them. I will be calling Tallahassee to get the final word on this.

Response MFM-NF via Email 07/01/2011 08:13 AM
Dear Customer,
I have met with several folks in regards to the interpretation of the law which we were discussing.
While upon the first reading of the law, it does indeed seem to say that you are not allowed to use double treble hooks to harvest snook, the intent of the law means otherwise. The issue was in the definition of the term “multiple hooks” in Rule 68B-21.007(2).
The intent of the law is to prohibit the use of treble hooks with natural bait. It also goes on to prohibit the use of multiple hooks for harvesting snook. In this particular case the use of “multiple hooks” refers to things such as long lines, rather than multiple hooks on a single artificial lure.
Therefore, the harvesting of snook using an artificial lure with multiple hooks on it is allowable.
I hope this answers your question.
Sincerely,
Nancy Fisher

Customer via CSS Web 07/01/2011 10:53 AM
THANK YOU!!!!

brettfitz
07-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Thanks for sticking with it.