PDA

View Full Version : Coffin box

lateagain
11-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Anyone have a coffin box in a 2550? I'd like to see how it's set up and if you can lift the lid with it in place or do I need different hinges to accommodate the weight. I'm trying to move all the weight of the ice forward in the hull when I'm fishing with four big guys.

Bite N Hold
11-14-2011, 12:42 PM
I want to do the same thing. You will definitely have to put lifting motors on the hatch or you will not get into it. The hatch will have to be hinged at the back or front, not on the sides as it is now.

Idlewilde
11-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Anyone have a coffin box in a 2550? I'd like to see how it's set up and if you can lift the lid with it in place or do I need different hinges to accommodate the weight. I'm trying to move all the weight of the ice forward in the hull when I'm fishing with four big guys.

A 2550 Carolina Skiff , Pro Line, or what?

lateagain
11-14-2011, 08:11 PM
I hate to be an *** but I did post this in the "Bluewater" forum so I thought it was self explainatory....On the hinge subject why on the front or back not the side, I've seen them hinge on the side before just not in a "2550". Anyone got any pics of one with a coffin box installed?

Bite N Hold
11-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Depending on the height of the cb you wouldn't be able to tilt it too far to the port side before the top of the cb would hit the inside gunwale. Maybe I'm thinking of too big of a cb. It would work better to tilt it to the side as that would put less stress on the hatch and lifting motors. Have you tried to call Paul at BW to ask if they have ever done it?

lateagain
11-16-2011, 07:28 AM
Yeah calling Paul is on the to do list I'd still like to see one installed, I think I may try it with just a cooler for now.

nautidiver
11-16-2011, 09:39 AM
I put a SSI 200 in my last Bluewater it worked out great they make a bungee mount system the thing never moved, it held ice great and alot cheaper than a coffin box. When we went diving with the hookah rig we would leave the cooler back and use the bungee system to hold the hookah rig down. The other advanntage to this when you get back with alot of fish get a couple guys and lift the cooler out of the boat and start cleaning. If I have my Bluewater much longer I am going to put this on the list havent done it to this boat yet, but I have iced the front and it held pretty good 3 days didnt buy any in the bahamas, its just alot of ice to go for the day.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff188/nautidiver/Contender21006.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff188/nautidiver/Bluewateraerial004.jpg

lateagain
11-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks ND thats what I want to do. Did you install anyway to open the hatch below? Also how was the landing from the last pic that looks to be alot of air under the hull?

nautidiver
11-16-2011, 09:51 PM
You will see once you purchase the SSI Cooler and Mounting Kit all you have to do is through bolt the kit to your lid and it wont move, I have alot of time on the 2550 that boat in the pics I put about 700 hours repowered in a year and a half, I miss the power of the HPDI's, but I rerigged this boat with Suzukis and sold her to a friend thinking bigger was better, I built a 31 Contender off the chain and decided this wasnt the right route, I sold the Contender and went back to a 2550. Paul said this boat I have now will hold ice in the bow and he is right my 02 wouldnt, but the problem is icing the hatch down for a 1 day trip, the rear boxes arent enough so the SSI is a perfect choice. I have a couple of more pics from this day and the cooler was full and never moved.