PDA

View Full Version : Any Port St Joe Bay Scallop Reports?

Slo Poke1
06-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Any scouting or fishing this area?

Split Shot
06-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Not yet, buy why in hell are they opening the season 2 weeks early when the dang things are not as big as my pinky nail.

pinseeker
06-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Cause they screw with everything else???

Sea-Lie'n
06-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Not yet, buy why in hell are they opening the season 2 weeks early when the dang things are not as big as my pinky nail.

Werd has it you've got sum big pinky nails Andy

Split Shot
06-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Hey Rick
Shrimp lady has rocks as of this morning.

Slo Poke1
06-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Got a 3rd hand report that scallops are small. Didn't get what part of the bay, though and I know that some areas will yield much smaller scallops than other areas.

Panhandler80
06-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Kill twice the number of scallops for the same meat yeild.

48 day snapper season while they spawn.

While I'm sure Gulf Co appreciates the extra week of revenue, and the charter guys like being able to take famlile summer-time snapper fishing, it sure would be nice if the laws made sense.

I have accepted the fact that never again will be able to bring home a red snapper, a gag grouper, a red grouper and an amberjack in the same trip. Makes me sad.

Glad to see that "others" can though. In all seriosuness, I don't fully understand the commercial quoats and how / where / if their take has been reduced. I will say that I'm honestly glad that they still get to fish a little bit. I will ALSO say that when I walk into a fish house to ge ice, or shrimp (like Sunday afternoon) and I see four or five 12-14 lb gag grouper under the glass, I get fightin' mad! Especially when I was out there releasing them the day before.

I'm done. Sorry.

michael
06-28-2011, 06:31 PM
16041602just got back from cape san blas went to scallop honey hole from last year and scored big,all i heard when i got there from the locals was the scallops will be small what a downer on open day may be seen a handful less than 2 inches we got our limit with in 2 hrs each day we were there.luv that place.

michael
06-28-2011, 06:40 PM
here is some more pics

fishsticker
06-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Now were talkin!!!!!!!

Don White
07-02-2011, 06:48 AM
Went over to do a pre trip run without the boat on Tues. 6/28/11. We waded out at the state park & got about 4 gallons in a couple hours. Threw alot of smaller ones back to grow up.

Panfishangler1
07-02-2011, 11:38 AM
here is some more pics

Nice Michael!

Panfishangler1
07-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Went over to do a pre trip run without the boat on Tues. 6/28/11. We waded out at the state park & got about 4 gallons in a couple hours. Threw alot of smaller ones back to grow up.

Way to be a Good Sport!

n2b8u
07-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Going next weekend cant wait.

Klinger
07-03-2011, 11:45 PM
Took the son in law, grandson, and brother out for the first trip of the season and had a 4 man limit in about 1 1/2 hours. Only made one stop in the Southwest end of the bay.

Panhandler80
07-05-2011, 09:16 AM
We went this past Sat. Had 8 people in two boats. Spent about 45 minutes getting tiny ones in one area. Made a move to some deeper holes where we've had lots of success before. High slack tide had the water real murkey in those holes. Couldn't really make out the bottom unless you got under water a few feet. Probably 4-5 foot vis. Not very pleasant and they were not exactly loaded with scallops. Did poke a flounder, though.

Left that area and went to another area where we've only had to once before years ago and found them big time. Threw back (ALIVE!) all the tiny ones and got our two boat max limit in probably 1.5 hours.

As far as size, they were just barely smaller than what I'd consider an average scallop and 85% of the ones we saw were totally worth cleaning. Muscle was average to slightly above average for size of shell.

Slo Poke1
07-05-2011, 12:33 PM
We enjoyed our trip, but thankfully we don't count a bountiful harvest to have a good trip. I've been going to St Joe Bay nearly every year for 30 years and I would call it a poor year, but the early opening could have had a lot to do with that.

Some friends, that goes frequently, went opening weekend said they were abundant, but ran small. Their 8-ft bull shark sighting report unnerved my wife, though.

We generally do well south of Black's Island, but took 2 trips (6 hours dive time) to get about a qt of meat. We probably culled as many as we caught. Water clarity was good 7/2, but less on 7/3 with the higher winds. Our friends went back on 7/2 and caught a 2-person limit, but took 7-8 hours to do so.

If they want to lengthen the season, add it to the back end when the scallops are larger. Catching 2 gallons per person of 1" scallops sounds like poor management to me.

Slo Poke1
07-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Michael, nice size scallops! We caught a few that size, but most (keepers) ran about 1.5". Got more photos?

Panhandler80
07-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Well, I've been going once or twice a year for 20 years. Between the other 7 people we had another collective 150 years or so of experience.

In our summation, Sat July 2 was average if not slightly better than average. My parents went back to the same area on July 3 and July 4 and said it had been picked fairly clean by yesterday. Had they made a move they probably would have found them thick again somewhere.

Like I said, we hit three different areas (all quite different) before we found them thick and big enough to warrant our time. Once we found them there, we had our two boat limit (1/2 gallon and 1/2 gallon) maxed out in about an hour and half. I'd say that's decent. Shells a bit smaller than average but were by no means tiny once we found them, and meat was perfectly acceptable if not a tad bit larger than typically found in shells sized like they were.

Slo Poke1
07-05-2011, 01:54 PM
I agree that its hit-or-miss and we usually find a hit after 2-4 moves, but this year it was bad-miss to fair with 6 moves. We generally work from south of Black's Island back up to east of Black's Island. We used to find good numbers and size in the 6-7' deep pot holes, but these yielded little this year. Meat size was pretty good in 1.5" shells, but we culled anything less than 1.25" shells.

Don White
07-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Here is a pic of some of the Scallops we got before lunch on the wade trip 6/28. Not a bad grade for so early in the year. We almost doubled that after lunch. You can click the image to get a better idea of the size.

Klinger
07-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Almost computer illiterate here. I will post a couple of pictures if I can figure it out!!

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee288/jimkline/266231_10150243275392297_640717296_7480238_6356721 _o.jpg

Split Shot
07-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Does any one know if Presnell's excepting 401k's or major credit cards to launch?
I see they're under new management.

Panhandler80
07-06-2011, 12:41 PM
BOY ARE THEY EVER!

Don't get me started on our experience there last weekend. It was insane, and the way we were treated was down right sad. Hopefully they'll get the kinks worked out before my next trip over.

Split Shot
07-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Don't tell me! It was already an out outrageous ramp fee but but I could over look it by the friendliness they treated us with.
I should be starting my trips in a couple weeks.
So please share.!

Klinger
07-06-2011, 01:24 PM
$10 ramp fee, and they were helpful, but extremely busy earlier I understand. We didn't get there until after 11:00, so other than having to park across the highway, it wasn't too bad.

Sea-Lie'n
07-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Hey Rick
Shrimp lady has rocks as of this morning.

Damn, it took me a month to see this!!!! I'll be there Monday....maybe she'll still have a few..

Panhandler80
07-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Don't tell me! It was already an out outrageous ramp fee but but I could over look it by the friendliness they treated us with.
I should be starting my trips in a couple weeks.
So please share.!

I delt with one guy that was very pleasant and one guy that was extraordinarily unpleasant. We have launched there for years and years and I'd never seen anything quite like it. Never seen anything like it there, or anywhere else actually.

On Friday morning the unpleasant fellow almost had my sister in tears (I was not there, nor was my dad). She arrived by car with no boat and wanted to park her car there so dad could come pick her up by water.

Friday morning experience:

Guy: If you aren't launching a boat, you can't park here. This is scallop season.

Sister: I know it is. My dad is out there and he came by water. He was going to pick me up here like we've always done.

Guy: "You fail to see my point." If you aren't launching a boat you can't park here. You can't just go down and hop on a boat. I don't make any money on that.

Sister: Well how much does it cost to launch a boat? Can I just pay you that?

Guy: It's $10, but "You still fail to see my point!" This is scallop season, this place is going to fill up. If you aren't launching a boat, you can't park here.

Sister (the engineer): Well, my car (VW Jetta) is very small, I can put it somewhere a truck and trailer can't go and I'll still pay you the $10, so you're making money on space you otherwise would not have.

Guy: "You still fail to me poin" [guy getting visibly frustrated... red, etc] This is scallop season, I've got boats coming here. You can't park here. You fail to see my point. You need to move this car.

At this point she's about to cry and shows up. Guy was rude as all get out to him, but to his credit, he let her park her VW Jetta in between two little plam trees where NO truck or trailer would have gone.

OKAY... SAT ROLLS AROUND...

I am told by dad to be sure to have $10 and to try and deal with the nice guy at the street not the guy that works the ramp. We show up around 8:30 am St. Joe time. I pull in, tell the nice guy up front what I'd like to do, he says, well... here's what I'd do... about that time here comes other guy... just about in a sprint.

Guy: What are you trying to do.

Me: Oh, I was hoping to park here, we have somebody coming to pick us up. [I can see my sister's car from here].

Guy: Oh!... are you with THOSE PEOPLE! [gesturign towards my sister's car]

Me: Yes sir, we are, I was hoping...

Guy: This is SCALLOP SEASON!

Me: I'm aware of that, if...

Guy: You can't park here if you aren't launching. I don't make any money on that.

Me: [here we go I"m thinking]... well, how much is it to launch a boat?

Guy: It doesn't matter. YOu aren't parking here

Me: Well, I'd be happy to pay you what it costs to launch, or even more. It's hot and we just want to get on the water.

Guy: "You fail to see my point" [aparently he likes that expression]

Girlfriend in back seat: Yes. I think we do.

Me: Hush. Well, sir, how much is it to launch a boat?

Guy: TEN DOLLARS BUT YOU DON'T SEE MY POINT!!!!!!!!!! (he's spitting mad).

Me: Well, here's $10...

SNATCH... go the two $5s out of my hand... guy hollars at me.. .go park it over there next to my house... storms off... and I hear "YOU STILL FAIL TO SEE MY POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I would like to publicly thank the man for letting us park at his house. We had no cell reception and had plans changed it would have been very difficult to communicate and a longer run for dad to city marina or real long drive for us to state park.

I would also like to publicly thank the man for letting my sister park there.

I would also like to say publicly that we will find another way to to do this next year and he can shove the $20 we gave him up his ever-livin!

The only thing I could figure he was thinking was... a guy who trailers a boat is going to be much more bent out of shape if there isn't space in the lot than just a car parker. The last thing he wanted was to have a trailer guy NOT come back next year because of parking. Unfortunately, he "failed to see our point." that if we're offering the same price and you can put our cars where no truck and trailer is going to fit, then it's a WIN-WIN for him.

So... that was round 2 of the car parking.

Round 3 was when 3rd party showed up to park... I was really scared how this would go. I was walking up to the street to try and get cell reception with third part pulled up. He started talking to nice guy up front. I walked up, 3rd party saw me. We said hello. Nice guy said, are yall together? I said yes. Nice guy asked where the rude son of gun told me to park and I said, "He was nice enough to let me park in his yard right over there [and I really did mean that... that was nice, but the yelling and what not was INSANE! I guess he was just overwhelmed and maybe not the brightest guy in the world]." Nice guy kind of checked 6 for the rude one and said out the side of his mouth... if I was you, I'd go park it by him and then just get the heck out of here. That's what 3rd party did. I thanked the nice guy and told him that we've been doing this and launching boats for years and years. Told him nothing had every been a problem before, but that we'd certainly stay out of their hair next year.

That's what I intend to do.

fireant21
07-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Real shame to hear that with the way tourism was last year. I know it was really busy out of there as I watched boat after boat come out of the canal, up until we left around noon each day. I would have thought Capt. Duke would have laid the law down on how to deal with folks, but he can't be everywhere at once. Hope for their sake, the customer service improves.

Split Shot
07-07-2011, 10:42 AM
WOW!
Now that's the way to run a business...
Need to find out what the gent's name is. Definitely a picture. ;^)
Now if I go there I will have a plan B & C.
I've also been going there for probably over 20 years.

donald811
07-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Sounds like a good place to set up a tow truck business. :Grin

atty551
07-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Guess we'll find out b/c I am taking some clients tomorrow....and planned on parking there b/c we have to hit the hill early to get back to pc to pick up the kids...don't want to ruin the trip for our guests so we were looking at a run in and back out to drop us off...will let you all know.

Panhandler80
07-12-2011, 02:45 PM
They are running you back to the hill, huh.

Tell me again now... who is taking who tomorrow?

Split Shot
07-12-2011, 05:14 PM
They are running you back to the hill, huh.

Tell me again now... who is taking who tomorrow?:Spittingcoffee

Does sound a bit confusing, but do let us know how it goes.

atty551
07-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Chris and I are taking clients...we are renting one boat and taking another. My wife and I are going, but we have to leave early, so they (chris) are running us back to the ramp while the others stay and play and he will go back out... and we are driving home to get the kids....

Panhandler80
07-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Yeah, he'd told me something about that a while back. I was just messin' with ya.

crcattypc
07-14-2011, 05:05 PM
yeah... there are no scallops in st. joe bay... these are not the droids you are looking for. I think you have to go further east to get real numbers and size

atty551
07-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Well...we slayed it. After getting out 2.5 hours late b/c they would not release the rental from the dock, we had a great day. We limited in about 45 minutes of water time and spent the next 4 hours cleaning them...We found a spot that did not seem to have been touched and were getting 4 and 5 at a time on the dive...Blair, I think Chris has pics...

Also, as for Presnells, there is no channel in there at low tide....found that out the hard way. The guy was really cool to us, but then again it was a rainy, mid week day. That ramp is a pain though and I don't think I would launch there again, even though it's closer...

Panhandler80
07-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Spot where yall got them is where Chris and I went July 2nd. It's definitely been touched. Mom and dad hit that area again on the 3rd and the 4th. They said by the 4th it was pretty well picked over. Obviously the little jokers move around because that spot has been replinished.

4 and 5 / breath is good, but I've seen better. A few years ago we could only find them in deep water and find them we did. I was able on one breath in 6 ft of water to get 18 in my bag. Of course, I was turning purple, but it's just so hard to come up for air when they're laying on the bottom stacked on top of one another. I have just about passed out getting lobster before... I'll find a difficult one and I become so intent on getting him wrapped up that I'll actually forget to notice that my vision is becoming blurry and I'm getting light headed.

Glad yall got them.

What in the world happend with 2.5 hour delay in getting out there?

Yeah, that water is skinny getting in and out of presnells. Was sucks is that most of the people that launch try to idle it (only real option in a pontoon as you're going to draw about the same mount of wate regarldess of speed). Anyway, on a weekend it will be a solid line of skiffs idling it. JUST RUN IT you dummies.

Our bay boat draws 13" of water at idle, so getting out with the boat in the water is not an option. With that tunnel and jackplate we can run in about an honest to God 4.5". Pretty cool feat considering it's about 3,000 lb boat when fully rigged and loaded. Anyway, sometimes we have to sit, and sit, and sit and wait for the the numbskulls to put their way out of there.

Glad yall got some scallops. It is fun... especially for folks that have never done it before.

4 hours shucking, huh? I figure you'd be a little quicker than that by now. ;-)

crcattypc
07-15-2011, 01:52 PM
na, Pete is lying, there are no scallops,,, no pics

atty551
07-15-2011, 04:41 PM
we only had 4 knives...

atty551
07-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Blair,

A spread Sheet? Really? Didn't see the cane pole on the list or the barbie zebco....