PDA

View Full Version : Blue Water Brawl Weigh-in no-no

dennisf02
06-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Anyone see that big 59lb grouper weighed in at the Bluewater Open out of SI? A reported charter boat capt tried to weight a 59lb Warsaw grouper which was later disqualified. To add insult to injury he was issued a citation for the illegal fish. I don't remember the boat name but someone said it was out of Capt Hiram's. Ouch!

ironeyes
06-06-2011, 09:43 PM
What would possess someone to try and pass a Warsaw off as a Gag/Black at a tourney? Did that fella really think NOONE would be able to tell the difference?

yachter
06-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Wow, that's funny (kinda), what the hell were they thinking or not thinking

Dan_Daniels
06-06-2011, 09:50 PM
I doubt he was trying to pawn anything off. People are either ignorant or there could have been ambiguous tournament rules. Some years ago they tried to DQ a warsaw in a tournament here in Canaveral and the rules did not say that warsaw's were not weighable so the weight stood. Now there is typically a rule stating "warsaws are exempt" or something to that nature.

Keystroke
06-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Anyone see that big 59lb grouper weighed in at the Bluewater Open out of SI? A reported charter boat capt tried to weight a 59lb Warsaw grouper which was later disqualified. To add insult to injury he was issued a citation for the illegal fish. I don't remember the boat name but someone said it was out of Capt Hiram's. Ouch!

Yea I heard he was given a warning citation by FWC at the Hiram's cleaning station. Apparently it was reported to be a black grouper during the weigh-in process. The audience was quite a distance from the scales but a couple experienced grouper fishermen identified it as a warsaw and put up a fuss. It's a good thing that FWC saw the fish and verified the mistake. It was on the board for a while.

BrassyHooker
06-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Screw that, I didn't even know you couldn't take them until I heard of this..

duckmanJR
06-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Honestly, I don't catch enough grouper to know even if it was in my hands.

Keystroke
06-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Screw that, I didn't even know you couldn't take them until I heard of this..

Yea it's a bs reg. for sure.
At the captains meeting they stated no Warsaws. I'm sayin' that the guys with big gags woulda been screwed if that fish stood.
It all worked out good. Especially since FWC didn't zing him for what was obviously an honest mistake.

dennisf02
06-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Heard some more on this. All is hearsay, so don't kill the messenger:

1. I heard the Capt was a women, at least that was who was argueing with the FWC officer on board the boat at the Capt Hiram's dock.
2. They made them throw the fish back or take it back out into the ocean and let it go (this one was hard for me to believe).

Giving him/her the benefit of the doubt, I can see where perhaps the Capt was ignorant of the Warsaw closure There is a lot of part time 6-pack license holders that probably don't know the rules but man, if you make even part of your living doing this, you should know the rules.