PDA

View Full Version : PC Sails like i have NEVER seen before!!!! Wednesday 6/15

CaptBlaze
06-16-2011, 12:15 PM
HOLY SAILFISH!!! To all the Port Canaveral Fishermen out there, Ran into something i have NEVER seen yesterday (in my 16 years of fishing PC). Took my mom and dad out fishing for their first time. I thought i was in Costa Rica. We ended up boating and releasing 2 Sails Wednesday, but i have never seen anything like this, all day out on 27 they were airing it out, while fighting em, there were 3 or 4 free jumpers everywhere you looked. Ended up hooking & jumping 9 but only 2 stuck. whats with this Sailfish biomass this time of year (maybe bait balls?, only scattered fliers out there)??? Both my mom and dad had a Sail on their FIRST TRIP!!! :R It took me 3 years to get my first!!! :mad:

As for the "sidenote" we landed 2 15lb phins in 130 on a very strange temp break in 130 at 2:00 pm. Found a rip at 130 where the temp went from 85 to 80 back to 85. The rip was maybe 2000 yards wide, and in that 80 degrees, BANG as soon as the baits hit that temp. I have a ton of Pix on my parents phone, but they need tech support getting them off the phone, so ill post once i help them out.

Blaze

O.SEA.D
06-16-2011, 12:27 PM
can't wait to see the pics!

CaptBlaze
06-16-2011, 12:31 PM
I was blown away, While my mom whas fighting her "first one" and my dad was snapping pix like a mad man, we even got it "mid flight", catching one jumping on film is TOUGH to do...

Triple Threat 33T
06-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Awesome!

Every once in a while we have days like that. A few years ago during the Mac Attack tourney we were covered up with sails eating our $10.00 a piece Kingfish baits!! Great fun but not what we wanted to see during a Kingfish tournament!

SEARUNNER
06-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Capt. Fred caught a sail yesterday out of Ponce in 65ft of water. When I was coming back from the stream a couple weeks ago we saw many free jumping. I thought the sails were only thick during the winter months down here?

CaptBlaze
06-16-2011, 11:46 PM
You are right, winter months. I dont know what is up this year, so far during Dolphin season in the last 2 months, i have had a total of 8 releases. I am thinking they are confused...

LONGSHOT25
06-17-2011, 08:47 AM
SEBASTIAN OFFSHORE WAS LIKE THAT TUESDAY 6-14 A GUY FROM WORK WENT OUT HAD 5 UP ON THE BAITS. BOATED 2 SAW QUITE A FEW FREE JUMPERS THROUGH OUT THE DAY. A LITTLE LATE IN THE YEAR FROM WHAT I REMEMBER FOR THAT KIND OF SAILFISH ACTION.

loose_cannon
06-17-2011, 09:46 AM
We seem to get them every summer around May/June. Usually happens right before the upwelling. I don't know if that has anything to do with it since we typically get an upwelling every year, but that's my observation.

SEARUNNER
06-17-2011, 05:18 PM
This is nuts, Capt Fred reported today that he hooked 6 sailfish in 60ft of water. Sounds like it is a sailfish extravaganza out there!

Capt. Kevin Brotz
06-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Time to fly the kites, lol. Awesome, hopefully they'll stick around and give some first timers a shot at a sail!