PDA

View Full Version : (formerly jjhill) PC Offshore Dolphin and a tile

Schrodinger's Catch
06-15-2011, 08:56 AM
FYI, my former user name was jjhill. Thought I'd change it to something more amusing after the forum deleted my acct.

Hit the water at sun-up and worked the bottom on several spots out to 8a in hopes of grouper----nada. Water was 81. Trolled to the warts and picked up a nice dolphin in 150' at 84 degrees. It was probably 20 lbs (48").

Mixed up bottom fishing and trolling out to 300. Picked up a gray tile and another phin. Trolled back a ways with no more knock-downs and decided to head back in to some 60' bottom for one last shot at grouper --- again, nada.

All-in-all not a bad day. First dolphin on the boat since my move over from the Big Bend/Cedar Key area. I'll add pix when I get them up on photobucket.

Triple Threat 33T
06-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Welcome to the East Coast. Thanks for the report!

Redfish Chuck
06-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Yes welcome to the east coast and thanks for the report, stop by our shop at Handler Fishing Supply in the port, we can help to get you dialed in on the offshore fishery that we have here.

dennisf02
06-15-2011, 11:57 AM
OK what is a grey tile fish?

Welcome to east coast. I fished Cedar Key a lot - owned a second home there.

Schrodinger's Catch
06-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Yes welcome to the east coast and thanks for the report, stop by our shop at Handler Fishing Supply in the port, we can help to get you dialed in on the offshore fishery that we have here.

Thanks Chuck, have already been and you guys have been very helpful, thanks!

I'll stop by again next trip if you want to key me in to where my grouper chances are better! It may be a while though, as our first child is due in less than a month.

As far as the gray tilefish goes....it looked like a tile but definitely wasn't a golden. I googled it and found a picture of what many people call a gray tile. Who knows, just my best guess????

Nosushi4u
06-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Post a pic and you'll get about 15 diff opinions.........blueline tile maybe? they are more shallow than the goldens (at 600' or so) and have a gold line with blue underline going from the eye to the lip.