PDA

View Full Version : StingWray trip PC 09-30-11 "THE OTHER RED SNAPPER AS SOME CALL IT"

stingwray
09-30-2011, 10:34 PM
The plan for the day was to go looking for some big gags. We cleared the pass at 6:30am and i told the crew to settle down for about a hour and a half ride. Had a nice bait well of big baits to drop on first stop. Lost about four big gags at our first stop due to coming unhooked and a few broken lines. Not sure what went wrong, but that's the way it goes sometimes. After no success with the big gags, went looking for other fish to put in the box. The next spot did nothing but vent and release BIG Snapper. The Red Snapper were willing to bite anything from a small piece of squid to a live bait larger than your hand. On the next spot we picked up some nice B-Liners, Trigger Fish, and Red Grouper. All in all another great trip on the StingWray.
Tracy with one of the Trigger Fish
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d123/stingwray123/DSC01039.jpg
One of the big gags that broke off..:cry
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d123/stingwray123/DSC01045.jpg
Vented and released tons of these guys:banghead
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d123/stingwray123/DSC01044.jpg
Fish box filling up :thumbsup
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d123/stingwray123/DSC01061.jpg
Some of the days catch:beer
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d123/stingwray123/DSC01060.jpg

Beck
09-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Too bad you had no luck with the Gags, but some good eats anyway! Thanks for the report!

Klinger
09-30-2011, 11:04 PM
Gags would be good, but I personally like the taste of the B-liners better than the Reds. The same texture and taste as the Yellowtail--and that Lane ain't bad either:hungry

stingwray
09-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Too bad you had no luck with the Gags, but some good eats anyway! Thanks for the report!
The guys on this trip were not looking for your average gags, they wanted big fish. They did have some big gags hooked up but just had some bad luck. At the end of the day there were four tired fishermen and a mess of fish to carry home.

reel stamas
10-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Pretty nice Trigger there in the middle ;)

Wahoodlum
10-01-2011, 08:52 PM
How do you know they were Gags? I mean for sure? Nice catch nonetheless. Very very nice box of fish.

brass casing
10-04-2011, 11:44 AM
nice! to bad u cant keep the over fished snapper

stingwray
10-05-2011, 06:30 PM
How do you know they were Gags? I mean for sure? Nice catch nonetheless. Very very nice box of fish.
After many years of fishing it still amazes people that before they bring the fish up I can tell them what they have on the line. An example is a Snapper is like a tap, tap, tap pull and bounces the rod all the way to the boat. A Gag bite is generally a hard pull and a straight run to the rock. After about 15 to 20 feet off the bottom. they generally give up. Two of the fish we had on that day got rocked and i ending up breaking them off. I tried all my tricks, like slacking up the line,thumping the line, and going around the back side of the fish, all to no avail. In addition, the area I was fishing that day is known for big Gags.

stingwray
10-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Gags would be good, but I personally like the taste of the B-liners better than the Reds. The same texture and taste as the Yellowtail--and that Lane ain't bad either:hungry
I got a call today from one of the guys on the trip. He just finished a B-liner dinner and said it was mouth watering good.:hungry

stingwray
10-05-2011, 06:44 PM
nice! to bad u cant keep the over fished snapper
I started fishing the gulf in the early 80's with my father- in- law on his boat. Not a lot of rec. boats back then fishing the offshore waters. Fast forward to today, a lot more rec. boats fishing and the size and #'s of Red Snapper are greater today then in early 80's. I guess i am missing something with current closed seasons. :banghead

stingwray
10-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Pretty nice Trigger there in the middle ;)
Thanks, one of my fishing buddies saw this post and told me he was disappointed in my catch. :banghead I worked hard on this trip. just didn't work out like i wanted it too... oh well next trip is already set. Maybe luck will change :p

ReelAddicted
10-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks, one of my fishing buddies saw this post and told me he was disappointed in my catch. :banghead I worked hard on this trip. just didn't work out like i wanted it too... oh well next trip is already set. Maybe luck will change :pI said poe azz catch.....Thats what buddies are for...lol

stingwray
10-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Tonights dinner...
Fresh Grilled and Blackened shrimp,grouper,trigger fish and b-liners
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d123/stingwray123/DSC01065.jpg

stingwray
10-09-2011, 12:30 AM
I said poe azz catch.....Thats what buddies are for...lol
Ok we do hold each other to high standards when it comes to filling up the fish box..... any yes i did come up a little short on this trip. So on my next trip i will work to improve the box.:wink

addicted2reelin
10-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Dude your catch is nothing to be ashamed of as most would be proud of what you have. You also said above your fish picture quote (some of the day's catch) so assume you had more fish then in that picture. And yes it is a nice catch and your fish supper looks great.:smoking

stingwray
10-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Dude your catch is nothing to be ashamed of as most would be proud of what you have. You also said above your fish picture quote (some of the day's catch) so assume you had more fish then in that picture. And yes it is a nice catch and your fish supper looks great.:smoking
The four fishermen on the boat that day were very happy with their catch and that's what counts. And in the fish pic. was not all of the fish that were put in the box that day...i was just a little disappointed in myself as the Capt. for not getting a few of the good fish these guys had on in the boat that day, but overall i was happy with the trip. As for the fish dinner everyone did enjoy it.

Tighten Up
10-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Nice box full! Also been offshore fishing since the early 80s and will agree that most of the time you can guess at what is on the line. Like at first you may think you have a grouper but if it fights past the first 20 feet or so you pretty much know it is an AJ or if it starts going away from the boat it's more than likely a shark Red Snapper fight most all the way up but don,t fight as hard as AJs.

addicted2reelin
10-23-2011, 05:49 PM
The four fishermen on the boat that day were very happy with their catch and that's what counts. And in the fish pic. was not all of the fish that were put in the box that day...i was just a little disappointed in myself as the Capt. for not getting a few of the good fish these guys had on in the boat that day, but overall i was happy with the trip. As for the fish dinner everyone did enjoy it.
I knew you would come clean and give us the reel deal.:thumbsup

Wahoodlum
10-25-2011, 02:14 PM
I hope I am good enough one day that I can tell if I have a Gag on. My hat is off to you!

stingwray
10-27-2011, 12:06 AM
I knew you would come clean and give us the reel deal.:thumbsup
It's all good guy

I hope I am good enough one day that I can tell if I have a Gag on.
Spend lots of time on the water and you will be good enough to tell when you have a gag on the line most times.

addicted2reelin
10-27-2011, 10:52 AM
It's all good guy
Only if you take me fishing :grin

addicted2reelin
11-20-2011, 09:54 PM
You gave a great ARS report the last weekend of snapper, where is your last weekend gag report.:huh

stingwray
12-08-2011, 10:50 PM
You gave a great ARS report the last weekend of snapper, where is your last weekend gag report.:huh
I wanted to fish the last weekend of the gag season, had a trip planned called it off... My Mother-In-Law that lived with the wife and i passed away so it just didn't happen. Damn i still miss her...:cry They whom we love and lose are no longer where they were before, but they are now forever in our hearts. I did get a gag trip in before it closed and we got a few nice ones. I didn't do a trip report but did send a few pics of me and the gags to Florida Sportsman Magazine will see what happens. btw have a AJ trip set before the first of the year hope it happens if so will post a report.:thumbsup
Sting

Wahoodlum
12-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Spend lots of time on the water and you will be good enough to tell when you have a gag on the line most times.

Man, I am just messing with ya! I think I know by now.:rotflmao. I need to make a trip with you out of MB. it will be a blast!

stingwray
12-14-2011, 08:45 PM
I need to make a trip with you out of MB. it will be a blast!
Not sure if fishing with me is a blast, but here is a video of a trip we did this spring. All the guys on the trip seemed to have a great time! There are a few current forum members that have fished with me, if i get enough interest, would like to do a forum member only trip next spring.

http://youtu.be/KGKAt_HmwlY