PDA

View Full Version : Some kind of slam in the IRL w/o 6/6

Got the Jack
06-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Got out to the Melbourne Beach part of the IRL last week. The evening was oddly slow, even though there was so much bait it should have been prime.

I stuck to it though, and bounced DOA CALS most of the evening (6 pm - 8:30 pm). I managed a handful of trout, ladies and a sweet flounder.

Not to be deterred, I went out the next early morning and had immediate success on the top - Spook, and subsurface - Sub-walk on at least 15 trout all in 15" + range.

As the light started coming up, I was able to sight fish, and turned my attention to the trough about 5" to a foot from the shore. I saw one very nice red that was intent on digging around by the mangroves, amazingly it never saw me, 'cause my fat a$$ isn't too stealth. So, I waited until it arrived at a clearing (between mangroves) and threw a size 14 gold spoon literally onto the beach about three feet ahead of the red, and then painfully slowly jigged it into the water. It was the coolest thing, the fish practically ended up on dry land - missed the spoon the first time and nailed it on the faster retrieve.

The second red of the day came from sight fishing as well. But, only because I saw the wake its head was making in the trough area. I had a root beer CAL on 1/8 oz red jig head. Threw it to the left of the fish by about 2 feet and bounced it - another amazing strike. 2 for 2.

I tied both lures with a loop knot, which I think gave even the spoon a nice erratic motion. I didn't bother taking pictures of the trout, their size wasn't anything out of the ordinary. And, didn't catch the magic snook for an official slam, but it was a heck of a day and half.

RRR
06-13-2011, 07:00 PM
nice fish
that flounder is really nice!

QualityTime
06-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Nice fish!

duckmanJR
06-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Nice fish!... and you have a nice flounder dinner too.

I've has two oddball "slams" lately..

last week I had the Trout-Red-Snook-Tarpon-Flounder and yesterday I had trout-Red-snook-Tarpon-Snapper...

Ryanc
06-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Nice catches! And thats a good lookin Flounder!

Indian River Joel
06-14-2011, 11:58 AM
I landed a big red on sunday wading the Melbourne Beach Docks. I lost 3 other ones that felt even bigger. I got the 'ol wrap around the pillar treatment!

Indian River Joel
06-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Nice fish!... and you have a nice flounder dinner too.

I've has two oddball "slams" lately..

last week I had the Trout-Red-Snook-Tarpon-Flounder and yesterday I had trout-Red-snook-Tarpon-Snapper...

Tarpon?

Crane or Turkey Creek?

duckmanJR
06-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Tarpon?

Crane or Turkey Creek?

Further south than that......;)

Indian River Joel
06-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Further south than that......;)

You never head north of Sebastian, do you? :P

duckmanJR
06-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Joel, back in my tournament fishing days I would fish as far north as mel beach.....but with the price of gas and the fact i'm just throwing them back anyway...I can stay close to the ramp for that.

Indian River Joel
06-14-2011, 04:14 PM
I hear ya! I dont like going north myself. I try to always be in snook range. I caught a few in the ML last year, but they are getting rarer and rarer up that far north.

DanC
06-18-2011, 08:19 AM
that flounder is really nice!

:A