PDA

View Full Version : Destin 9/17/11

Spineyman
09-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Here's what not to catch but can't avoid because they have taken over the inshore stuff up here in the Panhandle.

Klinger
09-18-2011, 03:32 PM
I m planning a trip to Ft. Walton around the 1st of October. If you would PM me the spots you fished, I'll be sure to not go there:devil

Spineyman
09-18-2011, 04:05 PM
I caught them at the Bridge Rubble and the Air Force Barge. How's that...:idiot

Klinger
09-18-2011, 05:31 PM
I caught them at the Bridge Rubble and the Air Force Barge. How's that...:idiot

Sweet!:Rockon

Beck
09-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Those are some fine examples of the rare and elusive ARS! Did you find any Gags among the Snapper?

Spineyman
09-18-2011, 08:50 PM
We caught one keeper Gag. I caught him way up in the water column on a jig, speed jigging. We caught a bunch of awesome Snapper in the 15 # to 18 # range. Also caught several short Red Grouper too.

Beck
09-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Nice work! I hope to be out on the water Tuesday.

Any AJ's around?

Panhandler80
09-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Also caught several short Red Grouper too.

Imagine that. I'm really not sure why they didn't close the reds with the gags. Only fish we coudl catch all summer was the poor old red grouper. Instead of head boats killing a handful of them and putting tourists on snapper, they had no choice but to target red grouper all summer.

I red grouper fished one time this summer... we got our limit of 8. One was 22lbs(!), seven were exactly 20" and we threw about fifteen back that were 19 7/8, several of which had hooks in their mouths. Ugh.

Short snapper season where ecverybody gets out as many days of that 48 day season as they can and the average fisherman probably kills more of them in those 48 days regardless of the weater because, "By God, I"m going to get my snapper this year" instead of, "No big deal, I'll go next weekend, next weekend, next weekend, and then they finally go once or twice in that 48 days, then football starts, then hunting, then cold fronts, then ling fishing, etc"

So, snapper probably take a bigger hit due to the short season and the pent up angling frustration from local and drive-down fisherman (Virginia figured this effect out years ago), AND the poor old red grouper takes a pounding all summer fromt every weekend guys and the charter boats.

It's all so absurd.

I bet next year they tell us that red grouper stocks are out of whack, but gags are good. We'll pound gags, and then two years from now they'll say gags and reds are about to go extinct and they'll just them down for 5 years. Then we'll go out and squash triggers, then beeliners, then white snapper, of course they may all be gone because the ARS and groupers will have eaten all the food source. Then the ARS/ Grouper / AJ stocks crash... then there's nothing.

All the while, it will be dubbed the fault of the recreation angler and charter guys, NOT the marine fisheries that like to play God with our resources.

fishawk
09-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Ain't that the truth.

Spineyman
09-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Nice work! I hope to be out on the water Tuesday.

Any AJ's around?

No Ajs inshore that we found. Good luck out there and stay safe.

Spineyman
09-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Imagine that. I'm really not sure why they didn't close the reds with the gags. Only fish we coudl catch all summer was the poor old red grouper. Instead of head boats killing a handful of them and putting tourists on snapper, they had no choice but to target red grouper all summer.

I red grouper fished one time this summer... we got our limit of 8. One was 22lbs(!), seven were exactly 20" and we threw about fifteen back that were 19 7/8, several of which had hooks in their mouths. Ugh.

Short snapper season where ecverybody gets out as many days of that 48 day season as they can and the average fisherman probably kills more of them in those 48 days regardless of the weater because, "By God, I"m going to get my snapper this year" instead of, "No big deal, I'll go next weekend, next weekend, next weekend, and then they finally go once or twice in that 48 days, then football starts, then hunting, then cold fronts, then ling fishing, etc"

So, snapper probably take a bigger hit due to the short season and the pent up angling frustration from local and drive-down fisherman (Virginia figured this effect out years ago), AND the poor old red grouper takes a pounding all summer fromt every weekend guys and the charter boats.

It's all so absurd.

I bet next year they tell us that red grouper stocks are out of whack, but gags are good. We'll pound gags, and then two years from now they'll say gags and reds are about to go extinct and they'll just them down for 5 years. Then we'll go out and squash triggers, then beeliners, then white snapper, of course they may all be gone because the ARS and groupers will have eaten all the food source. Then the ARS/ Grouper / AJ stocks crash... then there's nothing.

All the while, it will be dubbed the fault of the recreation angler and charter guys, NOT the marine fisheries that like to play God with our resources.

You are correct, It is a vicious cycle. I have noticed the depletion of species when they close one or two and leave one open. They get hammered for sure. It makes absolutely no sense to do what they are doing. It was much easier to find anything you wanted when they didn't mess with several species at the same time.