PDA

View Full Version : You never catch reds at the beach! (Surf Report 9-4 to 9-5)

Tainted Waters
09-05-2011, 11:17 PM
My father and I went fishing this weekend, twice actually. On the way, on Sunday, we had a bit of a disagreement. I can't recall ever catching a Redfish from the beach. I argued that outside of Sebastian Inlet or the River, you don't catch Redfish. We agreed to disagree.

Sundays report: We fished a public beach, a couple miles north of Sebastian Inlet. The surf was fairly rough. We used our standard 3 hook pompano rigs, with 4oz weights for the 13 foot rods, and 3oz weights for the 7 foot rods. Almost immediately, we hooked into a couple cat fish. Not a good sign, we thought. A few minutes later, my dad managed to hook into an undersized Redfish (not 45 minutes after I argued you NEVER catch Redfish off the beach) Soon after, I managed to hook into a 24" Redfish, which of course, we kept. There was a couple down the beach from us we spoke with, who had similar luck, if not better. They had hooked nearly half a dozen undersize redfish. I'm not sure if they actually caught any slot sized though.

Monday (earlier today): We decided to go out again, except our regular desolate beach was completely filled with surfers. Instead, we headed to Sebastian Inlet, the south sides beach. Same as the day before, same gear, bait, and the tide (low tide had JUST passed, so the tide was incoming)
Almost immediately, my dad hooked into a Red. While he's reeling it in, I'm waiting with plyers, camera, and ready to help pull it up onto the beach, and I notice my small rod going crazy. I ran over, loosened the drag, and went back to help my dad. He pulls in a 34" Redfish. As soon as we get the hook out and get a quick picture, I run over to my rod.

Luckily, The fish was still on the line. I lucked out with a 22" Redfish, a keeper. 10 minutes go by, and my same rod gets hit again, it's another redfish, almost the same size. We get it in, and seeing that the slot limit per person is one, we end up throwing it back.

A little bit after that disappointment (I would have loved to have kept that fish) my dad gets another hit on his line. He pulls it in, and it's a large redfish. We pull it out onto a flat surface and pull the ruler out and start to argue. The fish was about 26 inches, MAYBE 26.5 inches, from the tip of the tail to the end of its face, total length. My dad wanted to throw it back, because it was too close to the limit, but I was able to persuade him that it was a legal keeper. Something kind of weird to note, Just after this, I hooked a mullet on one of my shrimp lines. There was no shrimp left, the mullet was hooked straight thru the lip (not foul hooked or anything.) My understanding has always been that mullet don't eat live bait, they mainly feed on algae and plankton and stuff.

Now, this all happened in a span of about 45 minutes to an hour. During this time, there was a tarpon tearing up a school of bait, in fact, it was the closest I've ever seen a tarpon come in. It was about as far out as I could cast a 6-7ft rod (and I'm not the BEST caster in the world, but I'm alright.) We know it was a tarpon, by the way, because we saw it leap out of the water several times.

As soon as that tarpon, and the school of bait, and the flock of birds migrated down shore, everything died down. It was all catfish and tiny whiting, so we packed it in, happily I must say.

I've attached several photos from the weekend. To be honest, I'm not sure which is which, as far as the beach photos go. The picture in the backyard is my dad with his 26 inch red, and the picture on the kitchen counter is my dads 26" red next to my 22" red.

edit: Just realized this is technically my first post. While I wasn't a big time poster back on the old forums, I have posted and browsed for the past year or two, under the same account name if anyone remembers me or hates me.

Ryan Y.
09-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Great Job! I was fishing closer to the south jetty with my dad today. We saw you guys hooking up every 5 minutes for like a 45 minute span. We were using live pinfish with only one hookup for the day. I guess shrimp was the way to go.

Docked Wages
09-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Nice day, looks like you where fishing with Surf Kayaker.

Panfishangler1
09-06-2011, 07:21 AM
The best redfish is a surf redfish! Awesome report! Sorry bout those tarpon, High percentage that they would give you a run for your money and rip your line on before you could even begin the reel lol. Good fish.

Indian River Joel
09-06-2011, 09:28 AM
I need to get out in the surf! Thanks for the report!

Tainted Waters
09-06-2011, 12:17 PM
The best redfish is a surf redfish! Awesome report! Sorry bout those tarpon, High percentage that they would give you a run for your money and rip your line on before you could even begin the reel lol. Good fish.

Actually, my dad (Yes Surf Kayaker) hooked into something huge on his larger surf rod, long after the tarpon moved down the beach and it instantly snapped the line. There weren't any bait pods at the time, so we don't know if it was a tarpon or what. I Didn't think tarpon really went for shrimp anyway.

Also, Ryan Y. are you the guy that came over and talked to me for a bit?

craw_daddy
09-06-2011, 02:35 PM
great report & pics! Thanks!

optimistic Angler
09-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Tarpon will pick up a shrimp, live or dead, big or small. Many years ago I hooked a big Tarpon on a small dead shrimp fishing from a bridge in New Smyrna. The fight did not last very long but the jumps were amazing.

PONCE
09-06-2011, 08:34 PM
My very first Red was off the Ormand-by-the-Sea beach many yrs ago and man was I thrilled :Rockon

Lunch Money Surf
09-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Nice reds mon! I remember your posts from the last forum, good work.

Oviedoav
09-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Nice Reds! Did you pinch the tail when measuring? I think i may agree with your dad on that second one, looks a little Big. Keep up the good work!

Tainted Waters
09-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Nice Reds! Did you pinch the tail when measuring? I think i may agree with your dad on that second one, looks a little Big. Keep up the good work!

What does pinch the tail mean? I'm guessing we didn't do that. We put it on top of a cooler and laid it down flat and we had one of those rulers for fishing (with the slot sizes on it) and it measured like 26 inches maybe a tiny bit over, but it was clearly not 27 inches. What does pinching the tail mean? Like, stretching it out?

We measured it from the very tip of the tail to the end of the head.

Back on the old forums, I wasn't very well liked by a few people, because I would call oversize/bull**** on some peoples pictures. Both my father and I try to obey the regulations as best we can. We normally won't keep something that is close to the slot limit, under or over, and if we catch a whiting or something and the fishing isn't great, we don't keep it because we're obviously not going to catch enough for a meal.

edit: I do hope it was a legal fish, even if it was a few cm off. I am a real **** when it comes to people keeping fish that aren't within slot size, I even have Florida Wildlife on my phone contacts, not that they ever come when I report rampant fish poaching.

Look Out Below
09-07-2011, 08:16 AM
You dads name is Stuart right?

Mighty Quinn
09-07-2011, 09:30 AM
I would love to be disaapointed like that! Nice reds!

Tainted Waters
09-07-2011, 10:14 AM
You dads name is Stuart right?
Yeah, do you know him? I know he has some co-workers on this forum.

duckmanJR
09-07-2011, 11:10 AM
What does pinch the tail mean? .

When measurung your Redfish.....You pinch the tail together somewhat to make it its largest possible overall length....It cannot be over 27".... You need to be extremely carefull using rulers or cooler tops...depending where you place the fish and angle you look at it...it can be off.

Anyway, the "pinched tail" comes into play more with guys who target Reds specificly or in tournaments....Anglers use a "bluewater board" or similar device which is an L shaped measuring board where you slide the fish up till its nose hits the upright end of the board ensuring that the fish is exactly on the zero...and this way all fish will be measured the same.....then the weighmaster pinches the tail to make sure it falls under the slot limit.

angler18
09-07-2011, 04:35 PM
very nice reds, and nice report. I have caught a few nice reds on the south beach of sebastian, they seem to like it there. My buddy caught his personal best red 45" of the beach at patricks.

Tainted Waters
09-08-2011, 03:17 AM
When measurung your Redfish.....You pinch the tail together somewhat to make it its largest possible overall length....It cannot be over 27".... You need to be extremely carefull using rulers or cooler tops...depending where you place the fish and angle you look at it...it can be off.

Anyway, the "pinched tail" comes into play more with guys who target Reds specificly or in tournaments....Anglers use a "bluewater board" or similar device which is an L shaped measuring board where you slide the fish up till its nose hits the upright end of the board ensuring that the fish is exactly on the zero...and this way all fish will be measured the same.....then the weighmaster pinches the tail to make sure it falls under the slot limit.

Thanks for the information.

I'm pretty sure on the old forum, I either called you out on a picture or argued with you on such subject. Here I am, being told what's what, so I do apologize.

Indian River Joel
09-08-2011, 02:49 PM
I Didn't think tarpon really went for shrimp anyway.

I hooked a tarpon on one link of shrimp on a light action rod with 4lb test. I was fishing for bait fish. Needless to say the fight didnt last very long.

Oviedoav
09-08-2011, 05:37 PM
"pinched tail" doesnt only apply to tournaments. I never fish tournaments. Per Florida rules on Redfish, you must pinch the top and bottom of the tail together when you measure the Reds. This usually results in a longer measurement for me. It is entirely possible that a 26" fish will be 27" when you measure it correctly. Bu pinching the tail. Just be careful. I got check by Rangers again yesterday and those guys are sticklers for the rules. They make sure to pinch them. If you also have two guys fishing and 2 reds, they will ask who caught which fish. Just because you have 2 guys fishing doesn't mean you can keep two reds. You each would have have to caught one to be legal. Just visit the FWC website and check the rules, ro you get you an official measuring stick, it states the pitch rule on there. Good luck and be careful. Just a side note, i fished the beach yesterday and didn't catch a thing. My bait kept ending up righ back on the beach even with 2 ,6 oz weights. Waves were crazy!

duckmanJR
09-08-2011, 07:58 PM
"pinched tail" doesnt only apply to tournaments.

Uh,....nobody said that. What *was* said is:

What was said about tournaments is so the OP can understand that tourmnament anglers *MUST* be both carefull to be legal....while catching the largest possible fish.

Oviedoav
09-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Anyway, the "pinched tail" comes into play more with guys who target Reds specificly or in tournaments....

This was the sentence that i was trying to clarify for the kid. I just don't want him to think that he only needed to do this for tournaments. He needs to understand that this is at all times, and if someone checks his fish, they will check this way.

Tainted Waters
09-09-2011, 11:33 PM
This was the sentence that i was trying to clarify for the kid. I just don't want him to think that he only needed to do this for tournaments. He needs to understand that this is at all times, and if someone checks his fish, they will check this way.

I understood ya, thanks though. And to your earlier post, I had caught two keeper reds in a row, the second one we tossed back, the third one (the apparently questionable 26 incher) was the one my dad caught/he wanted to throw back .If we get a pompano that is 11-12 inches (or whatever the bottom slot is plus an inch) he won't normally want to keep it. Same goes for upper slot size fish, although it looks like that may have been a mistake keeping it.

Also, where do you ever see Rangers checking fish? The only place I've ever seen checks is on the north jetty at Sebastian Inlet. Granted, part of the time we were fishing the south side of the Sebastian Inlet on the beach, I've never once in my entire life had my license checked, my catch checked, nothing. I've called the FWC on people that were filling coolers with undersize pompano and just pulling them in one after the other and they said they'd send someone out, so I waited several hours and nobody showed up. I had a cellphone, gave them my exact whereabouts they wanted my name and number took all my information but that was it.

Tucker
09-11-2011, 12:56 AM
I abide by the guidelines but to expect very much out of the FWC is an exercise in futility. And if you are stupid enough to tell a warden that you caught both redfish if you have two between the two of you then I suppose a fine is in order any ways. I was a police dispatcher for a small county for about two years in North East Florida and Ive called them to give them heads up on things such as wounded animals or what appeared to be evidence of game poaching and it seemed to carry very little weight. I also have a hard time respecting an angency that will watch three $30,000 boats pull out of a ramp only to stop two guys in a stumpknocker with a five horse. I had one warden tell me my numbers needed to be lower. After lowering my numbers another warden at the same boat ramp told me I didnt have my spacing right, seems to me the first guy could have said something or either the second guy was just an anal p$%#@. Great report man and great fish. Sorry for the rant but trust me when I say I cant wait for the day when I think more highly of the FWC than I do right now.