PDA

View Full Version : 9/4 Melb Beach Wading with Indian River Joel

Ryanc
09-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Sunday afternoon I finally got the chance to meet up with Indian River Joel and do some fishing. We took his boat and looked for some shelter from the wind. We drifted around some docks for a little while, with only one small trout, and then moved on and decided to anchor up and do some wading instead. Shortly after, Joel got a 20" snook that gave us a show with a few jumps and I had a mid slot trout that flipped out of my hands on the way to the cooler. We moved on to a small mangrove patch and Joel got another snook. Both of us worked that area for a while and had a few hits, one of which, looked like Joel was playin catch with the snook throwing a DOA shrimp. As soon as it hit the water the fish jumped on it, but no hook up. We hooked up a double header, Me with a 16.5" red, and Joel with a trout, and the smack talk began about who would complete the slam. Further down I pulled up another red that may have measured, but I sent it on its way and Joel hooked up with a real good fish that spit the hook. It was now after dark and I was a snook away from my slam, and Joel was a red away from his. I missed mine, but in the clutch, Joel pulled up a 20" red and we headed back shortly after that! Congrats on the slam, it was great to finally get out fishing with you. My turn next time on the slam!

Final score: Indian River Joel 2 snook, a red and a few trout
Ryanc: 2 reds, no snook and a few trout

Heres the pics I have from my camera, and Joel may have some more to add from his phone.
No matter how many times I rotate the last pic, it wont change lol

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/unctarheel216/DSCF2531.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/unctarheel216/DSCF2529.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/unctarheel216/DSCF2532.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/unctarheel216/DSCF2534.jpg

Docked Wages
09-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Great job on the slam, tight work.

Indian River Joel
09-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Pics came out good. I'm gonna add that the mangrove tree that we pulled the snook and reds off didnt look very fishy. It was barely in the water with no overhang. We would have probably overlooked it if I didnt get a snook on the first cast.

Sometimes you cant throughly fish an area unless youre wading. Also we were stealthy enough to walk up on those snook.

We'll have to do it again soon, Ryan

Mighty Quinn
09-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Congrats on the slam!

duckmanJR
09-07-2011, 10:44 AM
I was wondering what happened to you guys.....thought maybe you got a new X-box game or something..LOL!! Good job on the slam.

angler18
09-07-2011, 04:40 PM
way to go guys,congrats on the slam!

PONCE
09-07-2011, 08:07 PM
I know you guys were having a blast, nice fish :Rockon:Rockon:Rockon:Rockon

triplehelix
09-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Nice fish, that's right behind my house!

Indian River Joel
09-08-2011, 09:56 AM

youre on a gold mine. I always do well with reds and lately snook over there!

Indian River Joel
09-08-2011, 09:59 AM
I was wondering what happened to you guys.....thought maybe you got a new X-box game or something..LOL!! Good job on the slam.

I've been spending alot of time on the Gulf lately. I've been helping out my tampa guide, he's been pretty busy. I will tell you this there are definitely more reds on the gulf side, but they arent as big as the IRL and ML reds. Some days over in TB we landed 50 reds about 10 slots and the others rats

GITBIT
09-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Hey guys have the fish been active thru the day or has the bite been only early and late?

The water has been pretty dirty looking around Titusville so I thought I would try farther south.
Propbably won't get out to early so I'm hopeing to get some action thru mid day.

Ryanc
09-10-2011, 10:19 AM

Looks like we got a place to park Joel! LOL jk

Big Dago
09-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Good job guys. Staying cool and catching fish at the sametime, don't get a whole lot better

Indian River Joel
09-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Hey guys have the fish been active thru the day or has the bite been only early and late?

The water has been pretty dirty looking around Titusville so I thought I would try farther south.
Propbably won't get out to early so I'm hopeing to get some action thru mid day.

I was out yesterday and the bite didnt turn on until 8:30am and ran until about 10:30am. After that two hour run, I landed 6 snook, a red, flounder, and a trout!

GITBIT
09-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the info.
I went down to Cocoa Sunday, launched at 9am and started scouting around. Started fishing the DOA shrimp around all fishing looking cover. No action for the first 45 minutes then I switched over to a silver flake 4in jerk worm and pretty quickly caught a small trout.
Most of the action ended up being in 2 to 4ft of water well off the bank. Had 4 trout to 19in by 12:30 and called it a day.