PDA

View Full Version : Sebastian Flats 9-4

triplehelix
09-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Went out with forum member Mike Mitchell and got into the trout good. Fished around Sebastian Inlet using small, live finger mullet. We found the fish in about 3 feet of water around schools of mullet. Bite actually didn't turn on until around 9 A.M., but probably because it was nice and overcast.

My advice is to go look for big pods of mullet. There were big fish busting them and trout popping in the schools all morning. Live finger mullet worked best, but if you want to get all sophisticated-like, I'm sure you could snag 'em on topwaters or jerkbaits. Once we'd drift away from the mullet, we wouldn't get hit at all.

Big bluefish moved in later on and that's all we hooked for the last hour.

Took home four trout around 20" for din din. Jumped a small, 10-15lb tarpon, too.

No photos, sorry! I swear it's true!

Matt B

DBStoots
09-04-2011, 03:34 PM
I was there yesterday, but we focused on the flat to the north of the inlet, on the west side of the river (Flats area 25 on the Top Spot map). There were mullet everywhere--from
finger size to big ones jumping, but we didn't have any luck. We were fishing artificials for the most part--DOA and Berkley soft plastics. Were we just in the wrong spot or were we doing something wrong?

ReelFinnAddict
09-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Nice Job Matt! Has the water cleaned up at all?

triplehelix
09-04-2011, 06:47 PM
DB: They only wanted live bait, wouldn't touch any of our topwaters, but I'll bet if you were persistent you could get em.

Robert, water was still super dirty, but I was there during the outgoing tide in the morning. It might have cleaned up with the incoming tide later in the morning/afternoon.

Seagrass has died off big time.

Look Out Below
09-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Nice Matt!

Final Point
09-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Sounds like you had a good day on the water Matt..:applause I have found that the area you fished has been holding fish for the last week or so. I was up in there today to catch bait and saw a bunch of something chasing the mullet out of the water.

@DBStoots...I always find that when the water looks terrible that I get a lot more and better quality fish on bait. I would have suggested netting some mullet and fishing them is several different methods(ie on a popping cork, free-lined, or fished on a jig head) This allows you to key in on what pattern the fish seem to want.

You can still use artificials but something that makes noise and/or has a scent will increase your chances of success. I would suggest something like Berkly GULP, a topwater that rattles such as a Mirrolure Top Dog Jr, or an Exude RT Slug with some kind of scent attractant added to it. Hope this helps. Oh yeah, and the area that you were fishing has produced pretty well for me in the past so don't give up on it!

Docked Wages
09-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Good going Matt, glad to see you and Mike got out.

ReelFinnAddict
09-05-2011, 01:56 PM
DB: They only wanted live bait, wouldn't touch any of our topwaters, but I'll bet if you were persistent you could get em.

Robert, water was still super dirty, but I was there during the outgoing tide in the morning. It might have cleaned up with the incoming tide later in the morning/afternoon.

Seagrass has died off big time.That's not good.

DBStoots
09-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Yep, I think live bait would be the key. We caught one Red south of the inlet on the flat by the park using shrimp. Tried a nice live pinfish, but no luck.

DBStoots
09-07-2011, 12:48 AM
FP-- thanks for responding. I've got to work on my cast netting!

Panfishangler1
09-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Just wonderful about the seagrass :( Anyways Awesome Report!

Mighty Quinn
09-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Nice job!

angler18
09-07-2011, 05:43 PM
sounds like a fun trip with some quality trout