PDA

View Full Version : FlyFishinBarracuda

tarpon9wt
09-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Can you top this one on a fly? 4838

Docked Wages
09-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Pretty cool, what leader or tippet did you use?

Permit Rat
09-06-2011, 08:42 AM
What was the actual length of that fish? I am guessing around 6 inches, but the point is that your photo is very valuable in that it shows the difference between the juvenile great barracuda and the (adult) southern sennet, which a lot of people mistake for barracuda. I have never seen sennets in lengths greater than about 10 inches....at least in Gulf waters. It was a sennet that ate the Bimini twist knot of one of my women anglers, as she fought a potential 6 lb. record amberjack on the Luckenback.

Irafly
09-06-2011, 10:14 PM
I can not beat that! So Permit Rat, was it a Sennet or a Cuda in the photo? Now I need to know the difference.

Ira..

Permit Rat
09-07-2011, 12:52 AM
definitely a cuda in the photo. Sennets are almost all silver, with a light brown back. The head and teeth are about identical in the two, and I think that's what gets people confused.

tarpon9wt
09-07-2011, 06:33 AM
It was tiny; no longer than 4". You should have seen the bend in the flyrod, not.:nono

Shadowcast
09-07-2011, 09:42 AM
I have one on my belt caught around Longboat Key....not that small. Mine was about 14". Still put up a little fight.

deerfly
09-07-2011, 04:47 PM
I've lost quite a few bonefish flies to those little dudes over the years. :)

Between being so small and/or well camouflaged you rarely see them until they nail one of your knots like permit rat mentioned or you're making a few quick strips after a missed shot at a bonefish and before you lift the fly out of the water, whack, it's gone or seriously trimmed by one of them lightning fast little muscles with teeth. Cool little fish for sure though. :thumbsup

good point on the sennets too.