PDA

View Full Version : Monday afternoon fishing - The one that got away.

strangebrewski
08-29-2011, 03:23 PM
I was out fishing the outgoing and low tide today. I caught a 12" snapper. Of course of all days I didnt have my fish ID information with me. So I called my wife. After getting her to lookup descriptions online and describing to her the fish. It was determined that it was a mutton and not a mangrove snapper. That was unfortunate because it was big enough for a mangrove but too small for a mutton. I released the fish back to the sea. When I got home I opened up my fish id mag and go figure it was a mangrove snapper. Oh well its gone now. No snapper for dinner. But now I know. Oh and no pics of the fish because I have been sentenced to a cheap cell phone with no camera because I keep taking them into the water with me.

Panfishangler1
08-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Wicked sweet unlucky report!

johnnybeglad
08-29-2011, 10:25 PM
I have been sentenced to a cheap cell phone with no camera because I keep taking them into the water with me.
Thats funny! I've sacrificed 2 phones now to salt water, thats the only reason I don't have a "cool" phone now!

Mighty Quinn
08-30-2011, 05:03 PM
You did the right thing. That would have sucked if you did keep it, FWC pulls you over, and now you have a fine ($150-210) to pay. That being said, go get you a great steak and lobster dinner since you saved all that money.

I feel your pain with the phone, I have lost at least 5 due to fishing. I keep mine locked up in the console as soon as I get on the boat and it stays there until the boat's back on the trailer.

Cliffdweller
08-30-2011, 06:25 PM
I had a similar problem last week, except I knew I had a redfish I just did not know if it was in the slot. I called my wife and had her measure a dollar bill. My fish was four and a half dollars long. It went home with me.

strangebrewski
08-30-2011, 07:08 PM
I had a similar problem last week, except I knew I had a redfish I just did not know if it was in the slot. I called my wife and had her measure a dollar bill. My fish was four and a half dollars long. It went home with me.
Congrats on the Red. So how was your $4.50 redfish dinner? 27" nice. Unless you used 2 quarters then it would be smaller.

ReelFinnAddict
08-31-2011, 07:36 PM
oops! Nice job.

PonceKW
09-01-2011, 06:31 AM
I was out fishing the outgoing and low tide today. I caught a 12" snapper. Of course of all days I didnt have my fish ID information with me. So I called my wife. After getting her to lookup descriptions online and describing to her the fish. It was determined that it was a mutton and not a mangrove snapper. That was unfortunate because it was big enough for a mangrove but too small for a mutton. I released the fish back to the sea. When I got home I opened up my fish id mag and go figure it was a mangrove snapper. Oh well its gone now. No snapper for dinner. But now I know. Oh and no pics of the fish because I have been sentenced to a cheap cell phone with no camera because I keep taking them into the water with me.

I've given the ocean at least 2 cell phones, a handheld GPS, and a NICE pocket camera. Now I have a cheap (but good enuf camera), put my cell phone in a baggie in my pocket and have a GPS chartplotter SCREWED onto my boat. Had Mango Snapper for supper last night..mmmmm good!

strangebrewski
09-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Well I have found my solution. The Fish ID Law stick. Hopefully wont run into that situation again.