PDA

View Full Version : PC offshore....22/23 Aug

smithbama1221
08-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Had a buddy come down from Texas for a couple days of fishing on the Kat B'Lue. We had a great time and caught a bunch of fish (albiet smaller than I would have liked) but I wanted to comment on something I have never seen in all my 47.5 years. We were out in about 155' on Monday running in after 9 long hours on the water and saw a half-inflated dingy floating on a weed line. You guessed it, there were dolphin all over it! We were wearing them out for about 30 mins when all of a sudden BAM! Invasion of the body-snatching jellyfish! We had been seeing a ton of jellyfish all day (most of them the basketball sized opaque ones). But these jellies were in all sizes and there were freaking millions of them percolating to the surface. Pink ones, white ones, clear ones, from about the size of a peanut to two foot in diameter. It was the craziest thing I have ever seen. The dolphin hauled azz when these things showed up and shortly thereafter so did we. What is the deal with all these jellies?

On Tuesday we found the most impressive temp break I have ever seen and were on the dolphin big-time (they had lock jaw for a while but we had a livewell full of small bluerunners and we were able to coax them into eating and would have had the time of our lives if the weather would have cooperated). Was mighty glad to be in a World Cat when the waves went from 2-3 to 5-7. Man it got rough QUICK! Anyhow, hopefully this storm will blow the jellyfish back to where they came from .

smithbama1221
08-26-2011, 09:05 PM
No one knows anything about the jellyfish invasion? I was hoping for some insight from you local pros.

yachter
08-27-2011, 08:24 AM
I went out of Stuart on Tuesday and it was the same thing with the jellyfish down there. Everywhere we went, they were there, all different sizes. I'd also like to know what the deal is with the invasion.