PDA

View Full Version : Best fish on fly by far!

Tarfly
08-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Caught this beauty in a canal near the river in north fort myers, she nevered jumped which was suprising, i got a little lucky that the fly was in the corner of her mouth, I only had 17lb fluoro tippet on. I've been catching small snook in the 12-15 inch range so thats reason for the smaller tippet. A pretty good fish for an 8wt., she ran under the mangroves a couple of times and I had to get "down and dirty" on her. My hands were shaking so bad when I gabbed her. Not sure what she weight or measured :( , below is a pic the fly she hit, i'm not good with remembering the names of flies but i think its a black/purple deceiver :shrug

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/Scott_Tarbert/IMAG0137.jpg

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad1/Scott_Tarbert/IMAG0138.jpg

Long_Live_Snook
08-24-2011, 07:37 PM
That is awesome, great fish!

Alan Marsh
08-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Awesome!

I'll guess 40" and 18lbs?

Ol'DirtyCaster
08-24-2011, 07:45 PM
That's a great fish. Lots of fish get released without being weighed or measured, and very few anglers have enough class to just let the picture do the talking the way you did. Thanks for sharing.

Tarfly
08-24-2011, 07:56 PM
That's a great fish. Lots of fish get released without being weighed or measured, and very few anglers have enough class to just let the picture do the talking the way you did. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, ODC, i made sure she wasn't out of the water to long. She put up a great fight, but to be honest, if it wasn't the middle of summer and so hot, I don't think I would have caught her, I think the hot water made her come to hand a little easier than say late spring or early summer when the water temps were cooler, the warmer water helped with me with being a little under gunned with an 8wt in tight corders.

Shadowcast
08-24-2011, 08:24 PM
That is an awesome snook! Black and purple is one of my favorite color combos.

Ol'DirtyCaster
08-24-2011, 08:36 PM
I love an 8wt for close quarters combat. An 8wt is a better casting tool for me, and it lets me make those stupid casts that you know couldn't possibly end well. When it comes to big fish in structure, it's all about numbers. You can figure 9 out of 10 over-slot fish are going to do exactly what they're supposed to, and it's not going to end well for you. That 10th fish that decides to zig when she should have zagged is what keeps us going.

sparse grey
08-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Well done & also thanks for sharing. Good looking fish & fly.

FLTXhunter
08-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Very nice! Name or no name, the fly worked and worked darn well. That is a great fly caught snook....no wait.....that is a great caught snook, let alone on fly. Nice work on her. Weight and length is never the most important part, but my guess is she would go at least 12-14 lbs. Huge head on her. Nice work getting her to hand in tight quarters and thanks again for making sure she swam off to make more!

lemaymiami
08-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Fish like that don't come often but all of us are looking for them.... That's a big girl, and a great catch in a tough area where the fish had all the advantages looking at the bushes....

saltybum
08-24-2011, 10:38 PM
That's what I was looking for this evening but had to settle for a personal trout record instead.
It would have ate my trout. LOL
Right now I"ll take any snook any size. Nice fish, nice photo and thanks for showing the fly up close.

Tarfly
08-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks guys!!! I have caught some nice snook before, but catching one of her size on the long rod justs makes that catch the best so far! I'm trying to go to sleep but I keep re-living the fight and when I got my hand on her, and it just gets my heart pounding. Guess its going to be a long night,at least its something worth keeping me up!

Big John
08-24-2011, 11:21 PM
nice fish man

Tex
08-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Great Snook on Fly there...thats one to be proud of. Congrats

gasparilla
08-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Solid snook on any rod; the fly rod just makes it that much better. Nicely done.

Permit Rat
08-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Nowadays, I'd be measuring a snook like that for a replica; especially under the circumstances. Great job. Great fish.

SUPER D
08-26-2011, 12:30 PM
"Best fish on fly by far" How true that is. Awesome fish, by any means. How far from the mangroves did she eat the fly? It amazes me how shallow a big girl like that will get up under the mangorves. :full
https://sites.google.com/site/thejonboatadvantage/

Tarfly
08-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks for all the great reply guys!!! She it the fly about 3 to 4 feet out in front of the mangroves. I'm lucking in that this location, that I'm able to fish, has a drainage pipe that comes from a near by gated community that has many ponds, with all the rain in last month or so, these ponds have filled up and the over flow comes thru this pipe, so as long as there is moving water coming out of the pipe, the snook, some trout and snapper, and jacks hang around. The pipe has mangroves on either side of it, so I just cast parallel to the shore and strip my fly right across the front of the pipe, and she was hit the fly just in front of the mangroves just down from the pipe. I think when the water stops following the fish will be gone. I'm trying to take advantage of the spot while the water is moving and the fishing is good!!!

Docked Wages
08-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Nice fish, very dark shade must be from the brackish water. Congrats, great catch.

deerfly
08-30-2011, 07:05 PM
congrats and a special fish on fly for sure. :thumbsup

tarpon9wt
09-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Congratulations!

FlatsFly
09-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Beautiful snook!

Snook Spanker
09-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Yea Buddy! A fish like that is one hell of a drug, just keeps you coming back for more!!! I'm hooked on the same drug> Snuke+Fly= one of the best Highs around!! Congrads friend and thanks for sharing!!!

Capt. Brent
12-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Awesome fish! easily 38-40 inches and a great catch on an 8wt. definitely has that dark "river" snook color. great post and good looking fly!

Bill@NSB
12-14-2011, 05:29 AM
Very, very nice.
I bet she surprised you.

acesover
12-14-2011, 06:19 AM
Great report, and congrats on catching a snook that size on the fly!

Fishin' Musician
12-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Great catch! You will remember this one forever.