PDA

View Full Version : SEBASTIAN OFFSHORE 8/21/11

tuna man
08-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Thank you Final Point for your help. All we had to show (wife & I) for the 4 hrs was a couple Bonita, both by wife. But hey, we haven't been out for a while and was good to go. I carry a spot device, kinda neat as I get home and can see exactly where we were every 10 mis, gps #'s and all. The neat thing you can look at it on a satellite image, shows not only where you were all day but the bottom contour you were over. If anyone would like a picture of where we went and where NOT to go I'll send you a pic.
Left Sebastian at approx 60 Deg. If you tried to fish out to close to 90' and never go over ANYTHING, I have the route for you. We only went to about 75' as we started late and a big storm loomed in front of us and seemed to be headed our way so about 12:30 we left. Caught the 2 Bonita in 60'. Its really funny, on the map on the computer we were between all kind of ridges, maybe a mile or two away and bottom contour all day, but looked like a barren dessert where we went. A little North, a little South, all kinds of contour. Goes to show so close yet so far you can be. Still good day, will wait till just a tad cooler next time.

craw_daddy
08-22-2011, 11:00 AM
you probably passed by some large schools of bait in ~50' on your way out.. that woudl have been a good area to catch bait & troll them near the bait schools for kings, cobes, sails, etc.. -next time!

beachsideandy
08-22-2011, 02:11 PM
If you get a topspot map the actual edges of the 60 and 90 reef are clearly marked, and once you are over top, there are numerous spots to be discovered by watching the bottom machine, along with starting at the marked GPS numbers. It really helps to have a map of some sort just so you can get a visual of where you are in the big picture of things. I still pull mine out from time to time.

tuna man
08-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Beachside and Andy, you both are exactly right. I do ALWAYS carry a top spot map wherever I am, but like I say, we were late and started fishing in shallower than I ever have. 40'. Once we got out to 75 ' and knew I was getting closer to the 90' ridge a big old storm started coming straight in at us. Funny, as we were heading East the storm was south of uf us, moving east. After a while after it passed us it slowly turned North then back west, straight at us. So we headed in. Again, I troll a lot, we both tend to supply a lot of chum when we sit still or drift!! LOL Anyhow, next time no line will go in until I hit 90' of water. We did see a couple big schools slamming bait with the birds but turned out to be Bonitas.

duckmanJR
08-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Hey Tuna man..maybe you shoulda rented those Yaks...I could have kept you close to your motorhome and you'd be eatin fish dinner...LOL!!!

bloodbath
08-22-2011, 06:02 PM
The yellowfin seem to be showing up on the otherside. Kinda late isn't it. We got 4 friday and 3 a couple weeks ago.

tuna man
08-22-2011, 09:52 PM
THAT sounds some fun bloodbath

tuna man
08-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Hey Duckman, congrats on your "streak" but just my opinion, if I had to fish out of a yak, I'd stay home. Remember we're all differant but it's not for me. I lived on Mosquito Lagoon 2 yrs in the early 90's. Fished all but 11 days, it got so boring the second yr there I probably fished 10 times. Red upper slot, trout 24" up every day, got too easy. Go today to same place they were yesterday, if they weren't there they were close by. Go Two months, no telling where they were!!

duckmanJR
08-23-2011, 06:13 AM
No offence Tuna man...To each there own.

I fished commercial for several years out of Sebastian....I've been offshore enough.

Now, I'm retired and I enjoy my coffee on the skiff and letting the fish go after they fought for their life.

beachsideandy
08-23-2011, 12:29 PM
keep in mind that this time of year with the water being so warm, the fishing often shuts down... trolling and bottom.
of course it helps to be over some structure, but you could be on the hot spot and still catch nothing.

Final Point
08-23-2011, 03:16 PM
that's the truth. I was out last Tuesday and found all kinds of fish on structure, but getting them to bite was a different storry. We still managed groceries but didn't get the big bite that we were looking for.

Glad to hear you got out there and tried it out Tuna Man. You never know what kind of day you're gonna have. I had a customer stop by and pick up a single 3 pack of pre-rigged hoo(in a flats boat no less) and he took that off and turned it into a dolphin and a nice king. He had a large school of dolphin follow his to the boat but was unable to capitalize because of the building seas. But getting 2 quality fish with only 3 baits is a pretty good batting average.