PDA

View Full Version : Sebastian Fishing Report-Aug 13/14

Final Point
08-15-2011, 02:03 AM
It was a beautiful weekend on the water. There was a nice breeze both days and the water looked like the Keys.

Inshore: The flats have been holding a lot of fish recently. One customer came to me Sat morning and bought some live shrimp to go fish the flats. They cashed those shrimp in and came away with a cooler full of upper-slot redfish! After stocking up on bait again they went back to the same flat where they had fun with catch and release reds and added a few nice trout to the box. All fish were caught using live shrimp under a cork in 3'-5' of water.

Inlet: The oversized redfish(and I mean WAY oversized) have taken up station at the mouth of the inlet. These tackle busters are easily targeted by either drifting or anchoring and presenting a live pinfish or large live mullet. Of course if you decide to anchor be sure to do it in a manor that keeps you out of the channel and be sure to keep an eye on the tide...especially the outgoing. The reds have been biting throughout the day but are much more active at night. As a bonus you can pick up a catch and release snook as practice for the season opener on Sept. 1st.

Offshore: The bottom bite was consistant this weekend with the usual suspects making an appearance. Mixed bags of seabass, triggers, grunts, and mangos were reported by fisherman from Grant Pines area as well as the 90ft reef due east of the inlet. Large schools of mixed Jacks, blue runners, and bonitas were found up and down the beach from 30-50 ft depths. These fish are easily targeted and provide great sport. Large snook were thick on the beach but seemed very finicky because of the gin clear water. Anglers reported extreme frustration at seeing several over-slot fish nose up to their live bait only to turn away without touching it. Bait was very thick on the beach and this may have also contributed to their lack of hunger.

Diving: This was a great weekend for diving. The beach all the way from Sebastian to Ft. Pierce had top to bottom vis on 3rd reef. Fish, especially sheepshead, were very thick on these reefs, but lobsters seemed hard to come by. The exception was a crew of 4 that came by and weighed a 12lb 10ounce bruiser that they got off of Vero. It was the only lobster they caught but man what a bug!! I was so excited that I forgot to take a pic, but hopefully one of them will post it up for me. Spearos in 75-90ft of water reported lots of decent sized mangos and the occasional grouper. Vis in these depths ranged from 10-25ft depending on location and time of day.

We will have extended hours of opperation during the 1st month of Snook season. I will post our new days and hours as soon as I have them figured out. I look forward to seeing you ALL on the water!!!

hurricane59
08-15-2011, 03:16 AM
very nice post...

ChasenTails
08-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Nice report. Thanks

angler18
08-16-2011, 06:03 PM
thanks for the report, very nicely done

duckmanJR
08-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Let's hear about today....I saw your truck at the ramp......

Lobstercatcher229
08-16-2011, 06:59 PM
thanks for the report! sorry to hear the lobs are hard to come by there.

Final Point
08-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Hey Duck...yep we had some of my wifes friends in town and they wanted to go fishing, but more importantly they wanted some groceries. We stopped by my shop this morning and picked up a couple dozen pins, some squid, and a block of chum and headed off to find some lively bottom. We had a good trip with consistant action all day. We limited on 15-18" seabass, a handful of very nice triggers, a couple of decent mangos, fought a 7ft unidentified shark, and threw back several endangered species. And we did this and still made it in before the afternoon storms hit.

The snappers were there but were not really chewing that well. We did manage a few sand perch out there on chicken rigs and everyone of them that went back down as bait got hammered almost instantly. For the pinfish to work the dorsal spines had to be removed. The only problem with that was that the triggers usually ate them up before anything else had a chance.

We fished NE of the inlet in 60-75ft. Current was only about .8mph to the East so it made drifting/anchoring easy. NOAA got it wrong again this morning, when their 1-2 @ 9 seconds turned into 2-3 @ 5. Made it a little bumpier for the bay boat, but nothing too bad. It laid down to almost flat calm for the trip home. All in all it was a great day out there on the water. We came home with 2 well satisfied friends and enough filets for a dinner party tommorrow night and still enough for them to eat on for quite a while to come.