PDA

View Full Version : Titusville Flats 8/12

orlandolite
08-13-2011, 08:25 PM
A good friend of mine has been itching to flats fish since moving back from chicago in may. We had the boat in the water at 6am. We went to our first flat and worked our way around a few spoil islands. We went until 7am without even a nibble. I looked behind the boat and saw a huge school of mullet that looked spooked. I threw a 4in gulp pogey past the chaos, retreived it slowly and bam! Brought a nice 20in trout into the boat. The bad news is that the lure was way deep. My buddy says he wants to bring him home for the grill, so I tossed him in the cooler still hooked up (I usually let em all live to fight another day). I grab another rod with a rootbeer/chartreuse DOA cal lathered with Pro-cure; same technique. This time I snag up a 22incher. He goes into the cooler still hooked. Next I grab a third rod with a DOA glow shrimp. A third, smaller, trout boatside. He swims free to grow a little. At some point in that chaos my buddy brought in an 18in trout and tossed it in the cooler. I poled around that flat for 30min with nothing else. I saw a few overslot reds swimming single, but they had a case of lock-jaw. I moved to deeper water in the 3-4ft range since it was getting warm. I let the west wind push us over a few shoals for about 1/2 mile. They were porpoises kiling bait pods, so I actually followed them around and picked up about 15 more trout (between the 2 of us). By 930 it was super hot with no bite, so we headed in with 5 of the bigger trout in the cooler for my buddies dinner. 3729

Panfishangler1
08-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Some awesome fish there! good stuff!

FinCity
08-14-2011, 07:00 AM
Great job! How deep were you on your first strike. Were they in the grass or mostly on top chasing the trout? I saw the mullet all over the place and I was doing the same thing without a hit. It was about 8:15am.

orlandolite
08-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Those first strikes were in about 12-15". It was pretty grassy where we were with scattered sand holes. I use the mustad 2 part weedless hooks for the grassy areas. 815 is a little late this time of year to be on the shallow flats. I've really only had luck up to 745ish, then the bite moves to deeper water.

Hicatchfish
08-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Those first strikes were in about 12-15". It was pretty grassy where we were with scattered sand holes. I use the mustad 2 part weedless hooks for the grassy areas. 815 is a little late this time of year to be on the shallow flats. I've really only had luck up to 745ish, then the bite moves to deeper water.

I've been finding the reds not to be moving on to the bank until 9-10:00 o'clock. There I'm seeing a lot of singles, pairs and groups of fish tailing and moving down the bank into the current with their noses down and tails in the air looking for something to eat. They've been tough to get on the hook but we've been catching some quality upper slot fish.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm81/Hicatchfish/grantIRLred8122011.jpg
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm81/Hicatchfish/trevorIRLred8122011.jpg

orlandolite
08-15-2011, 12:19 AM
Haha, can't argue with the pics. Awesome fish. I just haven't been having much luck that late in the day. Good for you though.

PONCE
08-15-2011, 12:31 AM
Eatin good for sure !

Bass2bucks
08-15-2011, 12:59 AM
Great report thanks!

ChasenTails
08-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Great report. Good to hear things are still active at the North end. We are still seeing 20 plus inch trout down south, and a few nice reds. The bite is definitley hot early and late before dark.

angler18
08-16-2011, 06:04 PM
nice report, sounds like you guys had a good time on the flats