PDA

View Full Version : HUGE RAY WE SHOT

Florida Bow Charters
08-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Just a quick pic from last week when a few of my clients shot a huge Southern Ray. 3 Arrows later and one lost gaff we got him in the boat. Its' been crazy lately. More pics to come.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/bigboar23/hugeray2.jpg

INTREPID377
08-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Well hitting that barn door with an arrow or three must have been quite the challenge.

08-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Well hitting that barn door with an arrow or three must have been quite the challenge.
:Spittingcoffee

Florida Bow Charters
08-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Well when the string gets looped around the guys finger and starts to cut it off as the ray is dragging the boat around the flat, it gets pretty challenging in a hurry. Especially since I was running half throttle chasing the ray across the flat when they shot.

Eggsuckindog
08-08-2011, 08:40 PM

serliously LOL - I was wondering when I saw the headline - why?

pupraiser
08-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Kewl...you killed a ray. Small dix need this sort of thing.

Florida Bow Charters
08-08-2011, 08:45 PM
HAHA!! I can see the rod and reel guys don't really grasp the concept of why we shoot fish! It's more of an archery thing than a fishing thing. And almost all of my clients take their wings back home with them to eat. The rest are donated to the homeless.

mjn
08-08-2011, 09:12 PM
It's more of an archery thing than a fishing thing.

no doubt

TGunn
08-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Well when the string gets looped around the guys finger and starts to cut it off as the ray is dragging the boat around the flat, it gets pretty challenging in a hurry.

Excuse me, but did you just cite gross error on the archer's part as the reason it got challenging in a hurry?

I hear scallopng is infinitely more difficult when you jam the snorkel in your ear instead of your mouth. Extreme scalloping charters!!

MadScientist
08-08-2011, 09:25 PM
The rest are donated to the homeless.

Do they make shoes out of it?

troutman561
08-09-2011, 12:19 AM
Today I decided to knit some socks for my son who will be born in 16 weeks.. But, to make the knitting challenging and extreme, I shoved the needles through all 5 of my fingers, spliced some wires into the needle, and put the wires in an electrical socket whilst knitting the socks. To top it off, I had my wife walk on my testicles with high heels on at the same time.. Phew, talk about extreme knitting!! Don't worry though, any extra yarn was donated to the Locks of Love for Dolls Foundation..

Captain Dave
08-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Umm, errrr... never mind. :Sinking

captinmitch
08-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Well hitting that barn door with an arrow or three must have been quite the challenge.:rotflmao

Docked Wages
08-09-2011, 12:30 AM
I would love to try Bow Fishing, looks challenging and fun when targeting the right species.

I am just confused why one would target a stingray.

captinmitch
08-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Today I decided to knit some socks for my son who will be born in 16 weeks.. But, to make the knitting challenging and extreme, I shoved the needles through all 5 of my fingers, spliced some wires into the needle, and put the wires in an electrical socket whilst knitting the socks. To top it off, I had my wife walk on my testicles with high heels on at the same time.. Phew, talk about extreme knitting!! Don't worry though, any extra yarn was donated to the Locks of Love for Dolls Foundation..

Kinky...

Popeye
08-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Today I decided to knit some socks for my son who will be born in 16 weeks.. But, to make the knitting challenging and extreme, I shoved the needles through all 5 of my fingers, spliced some wires into the needle, and put the wires in an electrical socket whilst knitting the socks. To top it off, I had my wife walk on my testicles with high heels on at the same time.. Phew, talk about extreme knitting!! Don't worry though, any extra yarn was donated to the Locks of Love for Dolls Foundation.. :beer :crowd

REELEMIN
08-09-2011, 12:48 AM
eat stingray??? really? your the first guys i have ever heard eating them other then people stranded on islands..get me a recipe,i smell b.s

Florida Bow Charters
08-09-2011, 12:56 AM
WOW! Amazing the responses! I guess the only way to catch anything is with a hook and line. Is the same response delivered to the spear fisherman. And yes many people eat stingrays. That is where "false" scallops come from. You can take a cookie cutter and make circles out of the meat to make a false scallop. If you want the recipe here it is. Cut the wings off and wash real good. Get all the slime off until the ray is rubbery. Bake in the oven until the skin peels off easily. At this point they are usually ready depending on how thick the wing is. Melt butter on them and add salt and pepper. Fork it out. Excellent eating fish. For more info check out the January issue of FS. We did a story on bowfishing rays as well as how to clean them for eating. Sorry we don't fit into your hook and line crowd. Well stick to the HUNTING portion of the forum. Thanks for the welcomed responses to a new forum member!

Popeye
08-09-2011, 12:56 AM
eat stingray??? really? your the first guys i have ever heard eating them other then people stranded on islands..get me a recipe,i smell b.s
sounds like you just like killing things,, to bad that stingrays cooler then you.. Uh, What are you doing to that there shark in your avitar? Thought I might ask. Are you a palegic dentist?

REELEMIN
08-09-2011, 01:00 AM
yes i am thanks, all my sharks swim away..all.. but we do use sting rays for bait some times.. thanks for the recipe ill try it..

Popeye
08-09-2011, 01:03 AM
WOW! Amazing the responses! I guess the only way to catch anything is with a hook and line. Is the same response delivered to the spear fisherman. And yes many people eat stingrays. That is where "false" scallops come from. You can take a cookie cutter and make circles out of the meat to make a false scallop. If you want the recipe here it is. Cut the wings off and wash real good. Get all the slime off until the ray is rubbery. Bake in the oven until the skin peels off easily. At this point they are usually ready depending on how thick the wing is. Melt butter on them and add salt and pepper. Fork it out. Excellent eating fish. For more info check out the January issue of FS. We did a story on bowfishing rays as well as how to clean them for eating. Sorry we don't fit into your hook and line crowd. Well stick to the HUNTING portion of the forum. Thanks for the welcomed responses to a new forum member! Welcome from me. Alotta folks dont get the Shooting thing. Its cool, Its your thing! Fake scallops are good. Most folks dont know anything other. Keep posting bro. Do what your doing. :thumbsup

Florida Bow Charters
08-09-2011, 01:28 AM
Much appreciated Popeye!

monoxide
08-09-2011, 01:31 AM
thats a nice piece of shark bait you got there. what would you recomend for a good entry level bow to bow fish with? i really only need it to stick rays with for shark bait.

Popeye
08-09-2011, 01:40 AM
yes i am thanks, all my sharks swim away..all.. but we do use sting rays for bait some times.. thanks for the recipe ill try it.. :backpaddle :cookoo

Lc-hunter86
08-09-2011, 02:11 AM

INTREPID377
08-09-2011, 08:50 AM
WOW! Amazing the responses! I guess the only way to catch anything is with a hook and line.

It's not the "how" it's the "what". If a guy using 6# spin tackle came on here bragging about catching and keeping a sting ray, the response would be the same.

floridacrackr
08-09-2011, 09:52 AM
X's 2

TGunn
08-09-2011, 09:56 AM
It's not the "how" it's the "what". If a guy using 6# spin tackle came on here bragging about catching and keeping a sting ray, the response would be the same.

This.

I couldn't care less if you used a gillnet to catch gar and bowfin but it's the fact that I'm certain that they're tossed in the garbage afterward that bothers me. I feel the same way when I see jack crevalle brought into a spearfishing weigh-in and then thy sit in the sun and rot.

Crazy Horse
08-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Very cool ray at least you eat your fish,whereas the catch and release fisherman's fish usually die or are eaten by other fish shortly after being returned to the water. Nothing cooler than seeing a giant tarpon being eaten alive by a hammerhead because a fisherman had to test his machoness and put a hook in it's mouth.

El Libero
08-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Wow bro awesome bro that's a big ray bro
right on far out *****in' rad bro

Spear Thrower
08-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Very cool ray at least you eat your fish,whereas the catch and release fisherman's fish usually die or are eaten by other fish shortly after being returned to the water. Nothing cooler than seeing a giant tarpon being eaten alive by a hammerhead because a fisherman had to test his machoness and put a hook in it's mouth.

We have another candidate for the SAFMC!!!!

Florida Bow Charters
08-09-2011, 06:30 PM
thats a nice piece of shark bait you got there. what would you recomend for a good entry level bow to bow fish with? i really only need it to stick rays with for shark bait.Any old bow you can get cheap and throw a reel on. Especially if you are just looking to get some bait. If you are local, I;d be happy to meet you somewhere and bring you all the frozen rays you want. Whatever my customers or I don;t take, I donate to the homeless anyway. That goes for anyone else on here who would like shark bait.

Florida Bow Charters
08-09-2011, 06:37 PM
This.

I couldn't care less if you used a gillnet to catch gar and bowfin but it's the fact that I'm certain that they're tossed in the garbage afterward that bothers me. I feel the same way when I see jack crevalle brought into a spearfishing weigh-in and then thy sit in the sun and rot.Don't be so certain. Contrary to popular belief, both Gar and Bowfin are good eating fish. Gar meat is the closest fish you will ever eat to gator meat. You chunk it up and fry it up the exact same way. The problem is, too many people think that all these fish are TRASH fish because of what they have been told. Cook up a Gar and a Stingray once in your life before assuming that what everyone says is correct. Plus, certain fish need to be thinned out for the balance in the water. Ask a bass fisherman if he minds us taking Tilapia out of the water. Tilapia invade bass habitat. Most EDUCATED Bass fisherman usually yell to us "kill them all" when they see us on the water because they are aware that Tilapia are in invasive species just like carp!

GT Fish
08-09-2011, 06:45 PM
How much is a stingray charter?

Lc-hunter86
08-10-2011, 01:10 AM

FLHuntress82
08-10-2011, 01:23 AM

Way to go Eddie, love your company and cant wait to go shoot some "barn doors" with you! Dont let the haters on here bother you, clearly they have NO life. :rolleyse

monoxide
08-10-2011, 01:36 AM
Any old bow you can get cheap and throw a reel on. Especially if you are just looking to get some bait. If you are local, I;d be happy to meet you somewhere and bring you all the frozen rays you want. Whatever my customers or I don;t take, I donate to the homeless anyway. That goes for anyone else on here who would like shark bait.

i have a old bow from when i was a kid but i cant find a decently priced reel for it. when i go to my moms ill get a model number off it. hopefully you can point me in the right direction. only fishing im gonna do with it is get rays and maybe tilapia for my mom and grandma.

hurricane59
08-10-2011, 02:23 AM
checked on the internet.. some recipes for cooking up stingray were easily found... an interesting initial post, thanks for putting it there...

Dailey
08-10-2011, 03:06 AM
checked on the internet.. some recipes for cooking up stingray were easily found... an interesting initial post, thanks for putting it there...

agreed didnt know about that or eatting gar ive been just tossin them back into the lake for years smh

Ron@.38 Special
08-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Stingray recipe:

Skin the ray and cut flesh in small 3" pieces, marinate overnight in BBQ sauce. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake on the grill for about 30 minutes. Cool, then open up the foil, throw away the stingray and eat the aluminum foil! Best stingray you will ever eat!

Next week Muscovy duck a la orange..

Big John
08-10-2011, 09:32 PM
thats a nice piece of shark bait you got there. what would you recomend for a good entry level bow to bow fish with? i really only need it to stick rays with for shark bait.

21 foot push pole will do the trick, its gets sporting after a while

Popeye
08-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Can we lay off these folks? We all have differnt views. Thats what makes this crazy thing we call life work. I never ate a ray. So what? Some folks spend alot of jack to climb a stupid mountain. I never would. Comeon. differnt strokes. If ya dont agree, Dont post on this Thread. A beefcow is as big as a barndoor. Shark,Sword,Permit,Grouper,Deer,Moose,ECT.......

Tripleclean
08-10-2011, 10:03 PM
I have always wanted to try to work with ray meat, how much different than skate can it be? I wanted to put ray on the menu years back when one killed our friend Steve Irwin a sort of eat your revenge. Their are a lot of fish out there that most fisherman steer clear of, and going further I've met alot of sport fisherman that I feel are afraid of eating fish! usally such as I only eat dolphin.

Ol'DirtyCaster
08-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Can we lay off these folks? We all have differnt views. Thats what makes this crazy thing we call life work. I never ate a ray. So what? Some folks spend alot of jack to climb a stupid mountain. I never would. Comeon. differnt strokes. If ya dont agree, Dont post on this Thread. A beefcow is as big as a barndoor. Shark,Sword,Permit,Grouper,Deer,Moose,ECT.......

You guys are trying a little too hard to rationalize something that's totally senseless. If the ray was killed for meat, or even the hide (stingray leather is some of the best in the world, samurai used it on the handles of their swords, because they wouldn't lose their grip even when the weapon was soaked with blood), I wouldn't have a problem with it, but the beer soaked grins in the photo tell a different story.

Popeye- So "we all have different views" and "that's what makes this crazy thing called life work", and yet "If ya don't agree, don't post on this thread"? Well which is it?

Lc-hunter86
08-11-2011, 12:11 AM
You guys are trying a little too hard to rationalize something that's totally senseless. If the ray was killed for meat, or even the hide (stingray leather is some of the best in the world, samurai used it on the handles of their swords, because they wouldn't lose their grip even when the weapon was soaked with blood), I wouldn't have a problem with it, but the beer soaked grins in the photo tell a different story.

Popeye- So "we all have different views" and "that's what makes this crazy thing called life work", and yet "If ya don't agree, don't post on this thread"? Well which is it?

Are people not allowed to enjoy what they are doing? I don't care for certain styles of fishing...for instance I hate trolling. That doesn't mean its senseless! The only thing senseless here was your passing judgement on someone and their hobbies that are COMPLETELY within the law I might add. Just because YOU (god?) Don't agree with something doesn't make it senseless. The man says they eat the rays. That's all you need to know. Infact its honestly none of your business what he does with them. Get it? Got it? Good!

Popeye
08-11-2011, 12:16 AM
This!

ruskinredneck
08-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Nice ray! Count me in on the bowfishing side of this debate.

FLHuntress82
08-11-2011, 12:36 AM

Beer soaked grins?! You know what they say about ASSuming, right?!? And even if they do have "beer soaked grins" WTF is the prob with it? I will sit on a boat ALL day catching fish, while downing beers... whats the prob?!? Fish, stingray, deer, hog... everyone is entitled to their own opinions on what they want to kill/eat, but NO ONE has the right to pass judgment, or belittle someone else's hobbies as long as they are legal and ethical. CHEERS to that! :beer

Florida Bow Charters
08-11-2011, 01:06 AM
99% of my clients don't even drink because honestly they don't have the time. We are literally shooting at fish or rays every few minutes if not less. When you are soaking baits, you have a lot more time to drink between hits. My customers are too busy shooting all night, but I appreciate the comments because this post was intended only to be an introduction to the forum with a picture of a giant ray that my customers were very proud of and it turned out to be a thread that has revealed some interesting opinions and has shed light on many misconceptions and assumptions that some people have. There's more than one way to skin a cat and I don't think for one second that a guy who spears fish would have gotten the same responses. Were doing the same thing, just above the water rather than in it. Welcome to the new world of the outdoors cause guess what, now people are doing it with slingshots(not kidding) and next year it will be something else. Creative YET LEGAL ideas are sprouting up everyday and thank God they are because thats whats keeping the Outdoor Sports industry alive. This narrow minded mentality would have handed over every gun, bow and YES fishing pole to the ANTIS long ago if it weren't for innovative people keeping all of this alive and well. Take a kid bowfishing and then take a kid fishing. Tell me which one kept his or her busy little mind occupied all day and wanting more. The future of our outdoor sports depends on a variety of things and narrow minded bs isn;t one of them.

saltybum
08-11-2011, 01:26 AM
I'm all for thinning out the rays. Seen some big ones wade fishing but that one is scary big.
Lastly, nice user photo. Is that the captain?

Popeye
08-11-2011, 01:30 AM
The one with the beer soaked grin?

sharkatak1089
08-11-2011, 01:50 AM
It's more of an archery thing than a fishing thing.

are you s*i**i*g me? How in the name of god could you miss something like that?!.....This is riduculous..

sharkatak1089
08-11-2011, 01:54 AM

someone's never caught a big tarpon beeffoorree....

sharkatak1089
08-11-2011, 01:58 AM
99% of my clients don't even drink because honestly they don't have the time. We are literally shooting at fish or rays every few minutes if not less. When you are soaking baits, you have a lot more time to drink between hits. My customers are too busy shooting all night, but I appreciate the comments because this post was intended only to be an introduction to the forum with a picture of a giant ray that my customers were very proud of and it turned out to be a thread that has revealed some interesting opinions and has shed light on many misconceptions and assumptions that some people have. There's more than one way to skin a cat and I don't think for one second that a guy who spears fish would have gotten the same responses. Were doing the same thing, just above the water rather than in it. Welcome to the new world of the outdoors cause guess what, now people are doing it with slingshots(not kidding) and next year it will be something else. Creative YET LEGAL ideas are sprouting up everyday and thank God they are because thats whats keeping the Outdoor Sports industry alive. This narrow minded mentality would have handed over every gun, bow and YES fishing pole to the ANTIS long ago if it weren't for innovative people keeping all of this alive and well. Take a kid bowfishing and then take a kid fishing. Tell me which one kept his or her busy little mind occupied all day and wanting more. The future of our outdoor sports depends on a variety of things and narrow minded bs isn;t one of them.

for the love of god, this makes me think you have clients on the reg. is this true?

reelhooker
08-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Get off the mans back. At least he's working for his paycheck and doing legally. I wish you put this much effort in *****ing about crackheads on welfare or the horrible education here in Florida. I have eaten gar and sting ray. You have no right disbelieving someones intentions because its not your "norm". Go catch your grouper and snapper and worry about your fishing waters. It shows stupidity and arrogance to make comments against someone before some of you even knew it was edible.

JB2110
08-19-2011, 09:03 AM
Stingray recipe:

Skin the ray and cut flesh in small 3" pieces, marinate overnight in BBQ sauce. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake on the grill for about 30 minutes. Cool, then open up the foil, throw away the stingray and eat the aluminum foil! Best stingray you will ever eat!

Next week Muscovy duck a la orange..

Funniest post in a LONG time!!!! Muscovy duck a la orange is delicious!

Popeye
08-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Funniest post in a LONG time!!!! Muscovy duck a la orange is delicious! You sound like a true conissuer. I bet your breath stinks too.

ponderosa pirate
08-21-2011, 12:27 PM
One man's trophy is another man's opportunity to be an a**hole by belittling the first man's accomplishment. That is the very reason I just "lurk" on this forum. Too many people sitting around and waiting for someone to post so they can attack.

spinfreak
08-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Skates and Rays are pretty much the same meat. Back in NJ, lots of people kept skates and ate the wings. I tried it once, and while it was good, there wasn't much meat on it. I'd keep a ray in a heartbeat if I caught one. Those fillets would be damn good eating. As was already mentioned, fake scallops (like some Chinese restaurants sell), are just little circles cut from ray wings, breaded, and deep fried. While not the same quality as real scallops, they're delicious.

JB2110
08-22-2011, 04:30 PM
You sound like a true conissuer. I bet your breath stinks too.

You just did the same thing your defending the OP from... attacking someone for no reason. I just said it was a funny post - I didn't say anything about the guy who skillfully shot a large doormat from 5 feet away.

johnD
08-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Skates and Rays are pretty much the same meat. Back in NJ, lots of people kept skates and ate the wings. I tried it once, and while it was good, there wasn't much meat on it. I'd keep a ray in a heartbeat if I caught one. Those fillets would be damn good eating. As was already mentioned, fake scallops (like some Chinese restaurants sell), are just little circles cut from ray wings, breaded, and deep fried. While not the same quality as real scallops, they're delicious.

I always thought long john silvers scallops where just plugged ray wings from Asia.

Popeye
08-23-2011, 03:26 AM
You just did the same thing your defending the OP from... attacking someone for no reason. I just said it was a funny post - I didn't say anything about the guy who skillfully shot a large doormat from 5 feet away. Your a idiot. I dont think you need to be told. Cant heip what you show.

JB2110
08-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Your a idiot. I dont think you need to be told. Cant heip what you show.

What¿? I must be b/c I have no idea what you just said...

What don't I need to be told? That my breath stinks? How could I show that on the internet? Isn't that something you would have to smell in person?

I'm really confused... how old are you? Are you going to call me a fart knocker next?

Reel Gulf Girl
08-23-2011, 02:08 PM
I spear fish on the regular - but don't understand why anyone would shoot a ray?? Just to kill it?

monoxide
08-23-2011, 09:26 PM
I spear fish on the regular - but don't understand why anyone would shoot a ray?? Just to kill it?

some people eat them and some people use them for shark bait. the ray they shot would make 3 baits for me.

Native Floridian
09-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Excuse me, but did you just cite gross error on the archer's part as the reason it got challenging in a hurry?

I hear scallopng is infinitely more difficult when you jam the snorkel in your ear instead of your mouth. Extreme scalloping charters!!

:rotflmao

Capt. Tyler Vollmer
09-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Move all the forum garbage to EC.

Redfish Chuck
09-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Welcome to the FS forum!!! this is the way it is around here get used to it because it isn't going to change......... The old FS forum was never this bad! I don't kill rays but if it's legal kill away.

redfisheater1
09-16-2011, 06:52 PM
None of our business until he posts it on the forum to be replied to. If he eats it that's fine but a freezer full of frozen rays that hes ready to give away for shark bait is a telling give away that they do not in fact eat it OR give it away to the homeless. he probably does not have a freezer full of rays. I call BS.

redfisheater1
09-16-2011, 06:57 PM
One man's trophy is another man's opportunity to be an a**hole by belittling the first man's accomplishment. That is the very reason I just "lurk" on this forum. Too many people sitting around and waiting for someone to post so they can attack.

Hey, snook are ambush predators too. Why should we be any different?

razorreilly09
09-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Don't be so certain. Contrary to popular belief, both Gar and Bowfin are good eating fish. Gar meat is the closest fish you will ever eat to gator meat. You chunk it up and fry it up the exact same way. The problem is, too many people think that all these fish are TRASH fish because of what they have been told. Cook up a Gar and a Stingray once in your life before assuming that what everyone says is correct. Plus, certain fish need to be thinned out for the balance in the water. Ask a bass fisherman if he minds us taking Tilapia out of the water. Tilapia invade bass habitat. Most EDUCATED Bass fisherman usually yell to us "kill them all" when they see us on the water because they are aware that Tilapia are in invasive species just like carp!

I used to bowfish a bit on the Saint Johns river at night. The amount of gar in there is ridiculous and needs to be thinned. Im sure other places are the same. Gar is pretty good grilled as steaks.

ruskinredneck
09-16-2011, 08:23 PM
I used to bowfish a bit on the Saint Johns river at night. The amount of gar in there is ridiculous and needs to be thinned. Im sure other places are the same. Gar is pretty good grilled as steaks.
All true.

Inshorebasher
09-17-2011, 01:57 AM
if you and your clients are so busy shooting at everything then how is it that you're not overfishing or "thinning" out the population trip after trip?

duckmanJR
09-17-2011, 12:12 PM
but if it's legal kill away.

I just can't wrap my head around the "Kill for kills sake"....which is esssentially what you said.

So "legal" is the magic line of it being the right thing to do?.... If that's the case...would it be OK if I had sex with your 18 year old daughter ( Hypothetical...I have no idea if you have any children...so don't freak)...even though I'm almost old enough to be her grampa?? It would *be legal*...if not morally bankrupt.... See my point?....

Legal and what is ethical as a sportsman are sometimes separated by a wide margin....

duckmanJR
09-17-2011, 12:16 PM
None of our business until he posts it on the forum to be replied to. If he eats it that's fine but a freezer full of frozen rays that hes ready to give away for shark bait is a telling give away that they do not in fact eat it OR give it away to the homeless. he probably does not have a freezer full of rays. I call BS.

I would tend to agree......

This was an attempt at some free advertizement....nothing more.

Capt_Gerry
09-17-2011, 07:33 PM
This forum is about sportsman legally hunting, fishing, spearfishing and sharing their experiences. This is not an opportunity to attack others just because you don't believe in their way of hunting. There are those who don't believe in fishing either and I'm 100% sure none of you liked to be judged. Right or wrong bow hunting is legal, nothing new and just another form of placing food on the table and enjoying being outdoors. If you have nothing constructive to add then keep the negative comments to yourselves.

Redfish Chuck
09-18-2011, 07:16 AM
I just can't wrap my head around the "Kill for kills sake"....which is esssentially what you said.

So "legal" is the magic line of it being the right thing to do?.... If that's the case...would it be OK if I had sex with your 18 year old daughter ( Hypothetical...I have no idea if you have any children...so don't freak)...even though I'm almost old enough to be her grampa?? It would *be legal*...if not morally bankrupt.... See my point?....

Legal and what is ethical as a sportsman are sometimes separated by a wide margin....

What I am saying is if it's legal to kill it then there is no excuse for bashing the guy like this... do I agree with killing rays? nope, unless you are going to eat them. I, unlike many that are left of this forum have grown tired of the "why did you do that"? and the "you shouldn't do this" crap that goes on here. Those of you on here that point fingers are responsible for the decline in REAL FISHING REPORTS FROM GREAT FISHERMAN!!!!!!!!!! Many of the old school guys have left and are never coming back.

Here is a good example of how backwards the thinking is around here.. If a guy post a report about a offshore trip that includes 10 dolphin, a wahoo, limit of jacks, limit of snapper, limit of grouper and a limit of cobia he is a hero. However if a guy kills one stingray he is hung out to dry and bashed to the point that it might effect his business " by the way that is slander " even if it is "legal" to harvest a Ray. Now what is more Ethical I ask you? how many fish can you kill before it's not Ethical anymore? Let's agree to disagree and move on and let this man make a living in a bad economy.

GT Fish
09-18-2011, 09:28 AM
I would tend to agree......

This was an attempt at some free advertizement....nothing more.

This^

Ryanc
09-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Here is a good example of how backwards the thinking is around here.. If a guy post a report about a offshore trip that includes 10 dolphin, a wahoo, limit of jacks, limit of snapper, limit of grouper and a limit of cobia he is a hero. However if a guy kills one stingray he is hung out to dry and bashed to the point that it might effect his business " by the way that is slander " even if it is "legal" to harvest a Ray. Now what is more Ethical I ask you? how many fish can you kill before it's not Ethical anymore? Let's agree to disagree and move on and let this man make a living in a bad economy.

Very well said!

pupraiser
09-18-2011, 09:46 AM
What I am saying is if it's legal to kill it then there is no excuse for bashing the guy like this...

Just because it is legal doesn't make it right. The rednecks on the forum have trouble understanding this.

Here is a good example of how backwards the thinking is around here.. If a guy post a report about a offshore trip that includes 10 dolphin, a wahoo, limit of jacks, limit of snapper, limit of grouper and a limit of cobia he is a hero.

Not even close to being the same the same thing...unless the guy threw them all into a dumpster.

Ryanc
09-18-2011, 12:01 PM
. And almost all of my clients take their wings back home with them to eat. The rest are donated to the homeless.

Look, the guy says they dont just kill to kill and just because you dont like his method, you assume he's a liar? Get off your high horses and quit criticizing something you dont know!

QualityTime
09-18-2011, 07:49 PM
:whacky

fish_stix
09-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Well Mr. Moderator; you said no more negative comments. It's time to start sending some of these bashers off to Band Camp. Getting to be just like the old forum with all the know-it-all teens running the show.

Postal
09-19-2011, 02:11 AM
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll47/AnonymousUserPictures/BadThread.jpg

AP 43
09-19-2011, 11:01 AM

You can eat tarpon?

Coolweiser
09-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Enough is enough folks. Move along, there is nothing to see here.

O.SEA.D
09-19-2011, 01:51 PM
What's next, dynamite fishing charters? Just another way to catch fish, right?

Flyguy1
09-19-2011, 01:53 PM
:signs With coolweiser..

HighSpeedPursuit
09-19-2011, 02:31 PM
I would like some for bait if possible. Thanks for the offer.

Hardcore Lures
09-19-2011, 03:50 PM
No.....The Homeless have this cute little workshop where these elves are employed and they make boots out of the rest of the stingray. What a waste.....If it moves... "Shoot it".

sharkatak1089
09-19-2011, 03:54 PM
I would like some for bait if possible. Thanks for the offer. LOL

PlumbLoco
09-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Variety is the spice of life. If any of you have ordered scallops from a Chinese restaraunt, then you have probably eaten STINGRAY.

If you order chicken , then you have tried squab as well.

Brad

ontheedge5658
09-20-2011, 01:55 PM
what are you getting if you order beef at the chinese restaurant? :huh

duckmanJR
09-20-2011, 03:17 PM
what are you getting if you order beef at the chinese restaurant? :huh

That's easy...Beef barks...Chicken meows.... Ever notice how animal control never needs to get animals near the restaurant...

Oysterbottomboy
09-20-2011, 04:21 PM
That's easy...Beef barks...Chicken meows.... Ever notice how animal control never needs to get animals near the restaurant...

Yet they all have cat food bowls in the back alleys. Mmmmmmm Scallop fried rice.

dble-down
09-20-2011, 05:32 PM
I will repeat: WHY?

ReelFinnAddict
09-20-2011, 06:57 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Luv2Fish/nonfishing/DieThreadDie.jpg

ruskinredneck
09-20-2011, 07:11 PM
I will repeat also: nice shot!

Jettypark
09-21-2011, 05:34 PM
I might not agree about killing something just to kill it, but i do understand it... hell i use to love to hunt, and killed just about anything that walk in the woods, and now its my thing anymore..
i rather knock the hell out of somebody then hurt an animal (if that makes any sense:willynilly)...
You might not understand it or agree with it, but as long as its legal and he making money for himself and his family.. i really don't see anything wrong... hey but that me
and if i could date a 18yr hottie.. you bet i would... its legal :devil

on deck
09-21-2011, 08:44 PM
I enjoyed your report.....To all those moaning about killing a ray I can tell you that it is not bad to eat. We killed a ton of them in St Pete when I was in school and not a one went to waste. Bunch of college kids....bbq ray...and lots of cheap beer.....hmmmm.....the good ole days. We used to take the canoes that our school had out on the flats and snag 'em with 20 lb spinning rods. We got a bunch of 100 pounders but the tops was a 200 plus slob my buddy got. We also used to go off of Fort De Soto pier and hook and line em. Some of the big ones used to tow us around pretty good in the canoes...not sure if I would like to tangle with one with bow hunting gear....

GT Fish
09-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Yeah one on bow gear is just CRAZY!

Jarhead Sarge
10-09-2011, 03:42 PM
WHY?

sharkatak1089
10-09-2011, 04:29 PM
WHY? :rotflmao

turnthecrank
10-10-2011, 12:50 PM
we got haters. yeah it was any easy target but i bet if he wanted to hit you in the eyeball he could

Captnathanstuart
03-02-2012, 10:18 PM

nothey made scallops for dixie crossroads

sure thing
03-03-2012, 07:48 AM

Snorkle in your ear!! That is awesome!!

captfrankm
03-03-2012, 08:14 PM

I was going to ask, what is left to eat??? The wings contain all the edible meat.....:huh

Kamo
03-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Dude, you'd of been better off postin a pic of a nice doormat flounder your fares shot than some big ray. I assure you you wouldnt have been lit up like this.

samsiam74
03-05-2012, 02:03 PM
are they really eating the Rays? I'm curious, where is the homeless shelter that takes these Rays?

Acfixer0011
03-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Wow that's all I got ...........:huh

Jethro
03-06-2012, 09:16 AM
That is one beauty of a fish. Hope it was released! Would hate to see a fish of that size killed for the sport of it.

duckmanJR
03-06-2012, 06:59 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Luv2Fish/nonfishing/DieThreadDie.jpg

Oh why won't you die......curse you bad thread!

dewey94
03-07-2012, 10:35 AM
what a sportsman!

CaptTater
03-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Stingray is tasty.

Chad
03-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Especially since I was running half throttle chasing the ray across the flat when they shot.

I bet you'ins had yer motor down and was tearin up the grass too wudn't ya? youuuuu fuzzy headed foreigner.

TerribleTed
03-15-2012, 02:18 PM
I see we have a bunch of Pansy on here still oh mean PETA members. Eat what you kill kill what you eat life is good. Looks like it would be fun. Rays are tasty little fish.

Kamo
03-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Ted, you can take your ignorant redneck crap and stuff it. People are entitled to an opinion without you calling them Pansy or anything else.

Like I said earlier, if he posted up a doormat flounder it would have gone differently. Most of the people here cant stomach thrill killing and probably viewed the post as "Hey guys look at me, Im a bowfishing guide" advertisement.

TerribleTed
03-19-2012, 01:46 PM
You make my point so tremendously acurat. Thank You

samsiam74
03-20-2012, 09:17 AM
PETA Pansies..... Little do you know but feel free to come find out...

TerribleTed
03-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Yep just like a PETA, take violence to a human.

You people really need help. I feel so sorry for you I will pray for you.

Padillac
03-20-2012, 11:16 PM
The funny thing is that I actually did lose a finger to bow fishing... No joke

GT Fish
03-21-2012, 09:16 AM
The funny thing is that I actually did lose a finger to bow fishing... No joke
Did you laugh?

Padillac
03-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Well it was so cold out that I didnt even feel it for about 10 seconds... but no I didnt laugh

jdipietro
03-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Well, I have to admit, I did laugh out loud at the snorkle comment. I also have missed a shot at a deer, with a bow, while the deer was broadside about 8 yrds away. I was younger, my heart was pounding, and I was less steady handed in my youth. Now, have I ever eaten a ray? Well, no... However, if someone bagged one and offered me a bite, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to try it. I used to believe amberjack was no good to eat until I tried it. Turns out, I really liked it and cook it with smashed tater' tots as a fryable batter. My point is, until you open this guys freezer or find a paper trail of his charitable contributions, you have no right to blast him. Until you try a forkfull of ray wing or try making a living as a charter guild, you have no right to blast him. On top of that, if his business and sole source of income is charter bowfishing, how dare you blast him and his paying clients. What they did was legel and what he is doing is to put food on his wife's table and clothes on his children's backs. If you don't agree with what he did, if you have qualms about killing an animal for sport, take it up with him personally! Don't make a show of yourself and his business on a public forum. There is a huge difference between poking fun at a friend versus messing with someone's livelihood. If someone showed up at my place of business trying to pick a fight they'd be met very Mossy welcome(if you catch my drift). Ultimately, my point is, if you see someone breaking the law or abusing wildlife IN PERSON, take action. I keep FWC in my phone for that reason. If you see someone successfully perform a sporting feat, such as bagging some trophy game, respond with a congradulatory remark or don't respond at all. Forums such as this are awesome and I have been on and off Florida Sportsman for many years now. The sad part is, I know a lot of charter captains and avid sportsman who no longer reside here for that very reason. In the future, please respond positively or don't respond at all. If you disagree with something someone does on here then PM the person. Please, let this be the final response to this thread, as several pages of it have become nothing but fools arguing...

DuPont
03-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Nice shot!! I would have had it mounted!

Celtic Knots
04-01-2012, 12:31 PM
I for one will eat almost anything! Give the guy a break folks he didn't kill it to throw it back in the water. As most of us wwere taught growing up "If you kill it you eat it!" I had a cousin that thought it would be cool to shoot a dove off of the power lines and I busted him doing that. I was a little pissed at him at first until I made him pluck it clean it up and cook it on the grill and then eat it. Only problem was after that he wanted to shoot all the doves cause he liked it!

tightline
04-01-2012, 12:38 PM
the native alaskan tribes use skate (another type of ray) to replace prawns at the dinner table they dont taste bad at all but wen u cook em they reek!!

DuPont
04-01-2012, 03:19 PM
I do do not doubt he eat the vermin... I am lol @ the people saying nice shot