PDA

View Full Version : Sebastian Fishing Report-Aug 06-07

Final Point
08-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Fishing was a little slow this weekend with many people not making the trip due to the uncertainty about what TS Emily was going to do. But there were a few die hards that pulled the trigger and off they went.

Inshore: The bite this weekend was pretty spectacular for those of you who were willing to work for it. The mangrove snapper bite was on fire along the chanel edges of the ICW south of the Inlet down to the Wabasso bridge. Limits of these tasty little creatures were common for those throwing live shrimp, small pinfish, or assorted small baitfish like sandperch or mojarras. Mixed in with the snapper were some nice keeper gags for those using tackle big enough to stop these bruisers. The key to finding these fish is to patrol the edges of the channel until you locate an area where the channel has a dramatic depth change forming a wall. These areas form the perfect structure for these fish to hold on. Anchor your boat up current and drop your bait back and hold on!!

Inlet: The Inlet was hard to fish this weekend because of the increased wave action from Emily. Those who fished inside(West of the Bridge) were still able to find some good fishing though. Anglers anchoring along the South side of the inlet were catching a mixed bag of ladyfish, jacks, mangrove snapper, and even a redfish or 2. The bait of choice was live shrimp and cut mullet. Quite a few sharks were also caught by those using cut bait on the bottom. They were mostly bonnet heads which provide great sport but are usually released.

Offshore: There wasn't a lot of activity offshore this weekend. The bait was pretty much non-existant on the beach. Those of you who were targeting the bonito schools just off the inlet for the past few weeks were disapointed with not being able to find fish as easily. The bottom bite was pretty good for those fishing live baits on the bottom. The ever present extinct red snapper were hitting hard and often. For those perservering they were able to bring home some nice sized seabass and even the occasional grouper.

Diving: While the conditions were not ideal for opening weekend, a few of you were able to get out there and get your limits. Finding clean water seemed to be the ticket. Those of you who did the best were closed lipped about where they got them, but they did say it was in 30-40ft of water. Most of the bugs were measurers, but a few were nice and hefty with the winner an estimated 8 pounder.

On another note I saw a Jetski trying to pass a center console in the main inlet channel. He was trying to squeze inbetween the boat and a green channel marker when his ski hit the marker. It broke the pilon in 2 pieces with a 10' section with the sign on it barely missing him on the way down. The driver was ok while his ski was damaged but still usable. The 2 sections of the channel marker were floating on the outgoing tide so another boater tied them up and brought them over to me. I then contacted coast guard and they came and retrieved the broken channel marker. Be careful while going through the channel for the foreseable future because there is 1 less green marker and there is still probably a section of the old marker sticking up out of the ground but below the water line.

It was a tough weekend to be on the water, but very rewarding for those of you who made the effort. Look forward to seeing you all on the water!!!

DuPont
08-08-2011, 04:45 PM
nice work on the FYI..

08-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Great info. Thanks.

Bluewaterfever
08-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the report.
Vis on saturday was top to bottom in 40' and about15 in 80' we managed 6 spineys and 2 slippers, still plenty of eggers. What was the # on the marker that was hit, gotta stay clear of that stump!

Final Point
08-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Great going on getting out opening day. The marker # was 11. It was one of the middle markers on the last dog leg heading out the inlet. I couldn't believe that a jetski could do that to a marker.

duckmanJR
08-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Great going on getting out opening day. The marker # was 11. It was one of the middle markers on the last dog leg heading out the inlet. I couldn't believe that a jetski could do that to a marker.

Maybe the guys empty head hit it...

Final Point
08-11-2011, 10:55 PM
I went to the inlet today and that marker has not been replaced yet. Just a little FYI so that you can take precautions this weekend.