PDA

View Full Version : PC-Offshore 8/4----Overfished? You tell me

UnReel
08-08-2011, 10:34 AM
left the port Aroung 630 to do some lobster prospecting before the season opened up. we came accross this!! it made me so angry to have to throw ten 20+ pounders back into the water!! Oh well I know where im going IF snapper ever opens back up. Enjoy the video www.vimeo.com/27401457

ASISEAIT
08-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Awesome video and tunes. That must have been every ARS in the Atlantic.

Spineyman
08-08-2011, 01:08 PM
It is an absolute shame we have dipsticks in charge of regulations. The Snapper are big and thick up here in the Panhandle also. I feel your pain. Maybe we can get someone with some common sense in office who will install someone into key positions in the Fisheries commissions. Thanks for sharing.

Mackokid
08-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Nice fish!! Overfished....... right.... and Congress knows whats best for us :)

holymackerel
08-08-2011, 05:02 PM
insanity,how deep were you guys?

guitarman
08-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Never saw more than a hundred people at any of the meetings. I wonder if the vote may have been swayed by 3 thousand angry people? But no, they stayed home and now complain.

UnReel
08-08-2011, 08:55 PM
.....i was there thats why I post

Docked Wages
08-09-2011, 12:06 AM
Great video, incredible underwater shots.

I attended each snapper meeting and witnessed the empty room each time. They let me speak for 20 minutes since no one was in line behind me waiting to speak. Its a shame but if you didn't show up to support against the closure then you have no room to complain now.

optimistic Angler
08-09-2011, 08:39 AM
I went to almost every meeting and it was very hard for me to free my schedule, the only way I could make it was to make it the most important thing in my life. When I got there I was amazed at how they didn't care about what anyone had to say. It was clear their minds were already made up. By the way those are not red snapper they are greater red porgies I'll prove it just give me the numbers and I'll show you.

copout
08-09-2011, 10:19 AM
that is an awesome video, please start sending those to your representatives and congress folks. If we continue to hammer them in the head they may one day say "ahh" maybe their right. Nice work and great footage!!!

never give up on the pursuit of what is right less we become part of the problem!!!!

Greendog 2550
08-09-2011, 10:49 AM
I agree with copout, They need to be hit ove the head with this stuff or taken out and shown. And, forgive my ignorance, but why is the gulf coast allowed to have an open season?

Oysterbottomboy
08-09-2011, 11:26 AM
The whole problem is there should be no meetings in the first place, our Congressmen should represent our majority consensus and know that this whole moratorium was B.S. Look at the gulf, at least they have some sort of a season while we have nothing. We should be giving our congressmen the hard time not our fellow fisherman that are working to support there family.

I could not make these meetings b/c my job was much more important to me at that time and i had absolutely no time off during the week, not to mention the meetings where all far away except for maybe one. Everyone I talked to was under the impression that there was no way they would close it down, ARS populations are far greater than they can ever remember and anyone with a little common sense knows this.

Honestly I don't know if 3,000 angry people would have swayed the vote, but if all 25 congressmen supported us we may have a better chance. If NOAA has an agenda they are going to find a way to acheive it.

P.S. There is a vote today on catchlimits for dolphin and wahoo, I am curious to see what happens there.

http://www.thestate.com/2011/08/08/1927180/fish-catch-limits-vote-expected.html

ACME Ventures Fishing
08-09-2011, 01:24 PM
The comment period whether in person, or when sent through the
online comment process is supposed to carry the same weight
before the committee. In person allows any media present to make
a report about it, but decision wise, all comments are supposed to be
heard equally. I've also been told, that comments recieved through
the online form, must be read by a council member if it is unique.

I've been to a few meetings when my schedule allowed, but have not
missed a comment period through the government portal process.

Common sense has little to do with the fishery management process.
In the Atlantic, You can keep Groupers and other Snappers, but not
Red Snapper.......but which most likely is to be caught? So the more
abundant stock is closed, but the less common fish are fair game.
Most wrecks outside 100' mark a lot of fish, and usually these are ARS,
but again they are closed, when fish that are much less abundant are
open to take, both recreationally and commercially.

Fisheries managers likely care little. They are more concerned about
number one for them. They are not accountable to the stakeholders,
like the policy makers in the Fisheries. By not having to respond to
the fishery stakeholders at open council meetings, they only reinforce
the complete lack of confidence in the fisheries management process.
Force them to have to answer to the fishermen, in person, and maybe
their tune would change, however I'm sure they like it just the way
it is.

guitarman
08-09-2011, 02:33 PM
It's really simple. The Pew Foundation and Save our Oceans are on a mission to end fishing PERIOD! Our congressmen and NOAA are in their pocket. Throw the rule out there and if nobody complains,go ahead, and I assure you not enough people complained. Let them eat cake.

walkerkb
08-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Sickening.....

Docked Wages
08-10-2011, 01:51 PM
I went to almost every meeting and it was very hard for me to free my schedule, the only way I could make it was to make it the most important thing in my life. When I got there I was amazed at how they didn't care about what anyone had to say. It was clear their minds were already made up. By the way those are not red snapper they are greater red porgies I'll prove it just give me the numbers and I'll show you.

That was my perception after my first visit. Then I was enlightened that this venue was to hear and record our comments for permanent records. They were not allowed to comment or debate the issue at these meetings. After each meeting I sgined up to recieve all the comments via email which they did send me. As far as them already having their mind made up prior to these meetings that is another discussion...

Keystroke
08-11-2011, 10:57 PM
:thumbsup:thumbsup

saltybum
08-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Intersting how the shrimp and scallop boats have disappeared and the snapper have become thicker than ever. Once they stopped the systematic destruction of the bottom habitat where they spawned and found plenty of their food it has rebounded and we now SEE the results.
10+ pounds of bycatch for 1lb of shrimp is allowed along with destruction of habitat but not rod and reel fishing.:confused:
I heard stories many years past of shrimpers pulling up rock slabs the size of dinner tables in their nets. If they could do that what were they doing to snapper bedding areas at the same time.
The grass beds are returning along with shrimp, crabs and finfish and we just SAW the results.
Yet with all their higher educated intelligence they can't figure THAT out.
Used to see shrimp boats as far as the eye could see. Now none for a few years.
Typical of comercial greed. Exploit to near extinction then move on destroy something else.

Just my uneducated observation of 30+ years fishing in Brevard waters.

pastordan
08-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Tony and Holly, great video, had a blast doing mini season with you guys. Keep up the good work.

angler18
08-20-2011, 09:06 PM
yep, no snapper down there! nice job on the video

capcioffi
08-22-2011, 02:35 PM
We have the same results up here in Jacksonville. What I do like is the fact I can take people out who have for the most part never really caught big fish. I can anchor and chum them up and let my friends and family at them. Great for pictures and just to laugh at someone getting railed by a 20lb plus snapper. I would personally like to see RED SNAPPER made a state wide sport fish with no commerical take and a one fish per person, 6 max per boat for rec fisherman. Sorry commerical guys, it will be just like redfish.

Zeus
08-23-2011, 07:22 AM
Nice job on the video. I hope somehow it makes it's way to the people who "no what's best for us" and they get their head out of their rear ends.

Greenngoldfever
08-30-2011, 02:22 AM
Sick Video bubba...love the broomstick

Greenngoldfever
08-30-2011, 02:34 AM
And one more thing I have to ask....WHat brings the ARS together like that? Are they spawning? Didn't look like much of a bottom from the video? What kind of structure were you on?